Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the the most popular TV genres in Japan based on the Japanese audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. Our television genre report leverages Japan demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 60 page report, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: Japan television genre report.
The most popular television genres in Japan
Parrot Analytics tracks tens of thousands of television titles in 100+ markets across all TV distribution platforms. This enables us to make the following observations concerning genres for Japan:
- Out of all markets in this report, Japan has the largest demand share for two genres of digital original series: The Japanese demand share for variety is 1.6% and for animation the share is 8.8%.
- Animation demand is buoyed in the market by the anime subgenre, which is overwhelmingly produced in Japan.
- Japan has the second smallest demand share for drama originals with 38.5%, after the USA.
The most popular TV subgenres in Japan
Here are our findings concerning TV subgenres:
- With 1.35 Billion Demand Expressions for superhero titles recorded in Q1 2019, it is Japan’s largest subgenre by total demand.
- As noted in the genre demand share, the top animation subgenre in Japan is anime. It is the sixth largest subgenre in the market.
- Sitcom is the most demanded comedy subgenre and sci-fi is the most demanded drama subgenre.
Download the free TV genre report for Japan
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for Japan. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
Japan Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the Japan SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in Japan have changed over the last 24 months.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Discover the genre demand share for all digital originals in this market as well as the 10 most in-demand subgenres in this territory.
- Find out the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in this market.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in Japan, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets; this has been calculated based on the worldwide demand for each platform’s originals.
- A TV industry update for Q1 2019 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- This report also includes data for the following additional territories: Belgium, China, Hungary, Ireland, Netherlands, Russia, South Africa, United Kingdom and the United States.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ (Apple TV Plus), HBO Max by WarnerMedia/AT&T, NBCU/Comcast’s Peacock, Quibi and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.