Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the the most popular TV genres in China based on the Chinese audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. Our television genre report leverages Chinese demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 60 page report, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: China television genre report.
The most popular television genres in China
Parrot Analytics tracks tens of thousands of television titles in 100+ markets across all TV distribution platforms. This enables us to make the following observations concerning genres for China:
- The most demanded type of English-language digital original series in China is drama with 45.3% of demand expressed for this genre.
- The second largest genre for English-language imports into China is comedy, which accounts for 20.9% of the demand.
- The proportion of demand for action/adventure is 13.5%, followed by animation titles with 5.9%.
The most popular TV subgenres in China
Here are our findings concerning TV subgenres:
- This chart shows the top ten subgenres by size of the 2019 Q1 Chinese demand for English-language digital originals in each subgenre.
- English-language drama imports are favored strongly: 6 of the 10 subgenres belong to drama with sci-fi drama being the largest subgenre.
- English-language sitcoms are the most demanded comedy subgenre and animated sitcoms are also in high demand in China.
Download the free TV genre report for China
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for China. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
China Domestic TV Insights:
- English-language digital original trends in China based on Parrot Analytics vast TV demand dataset.
- Foreign content trends in China: Despite many Western services not presently operating or distributing their content in the Chinese market, we are able to demonstrate which Digital Originals are in high demand with Chinese audiences.
- We also reveal Chinese consumer preferences for specific genres and subgenres of foreign digital original content.
- Discover the demand share by genre, and the most in-demand subgenres of English language digital original series, to understand which type of content would work well either distributed in China or adapted into a local Chinese series.
- Find out what the top 20 English-language streaming shows in China are.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets; this has been calculated based on the worldwide demand for each platform’s originals.
- A TV industry update for Q1 2019 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- This report also includes data for the following additional territories: Belgium, Hungary, Ireland, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, South Africa, United Kingdom and the United States.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ (Apple TV Plus), HBO Max by WarnerMedia/AT&T, NBCU/Comcast’s Peacock, Quibi and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.