Parrot Analytics Genre Trend reports reveal which genres and subgenres appealed to a market's audiences the most during the quarter.
The key questions investigated in this report include:
1. Which genres are most in-demand for Ecuadorian audiences this quarter?
2. How do genre trends in Ecuador compare to global trends for the quarter?
3. Which subgenres are most in-demand for Ecuadorian audiences this quarter?
4. For only digital original series, what genres are most demanded by Ecuadorian audiences this quarter and how is this different to the overall demand shares?
For all titles, which genres are Ecuadorian audiences demanding most?
• Ecuador has an unusually high demand share for children’s series. 20.1% of all demand expressed in Q1 2021 was for a title in the children’s genre, making it the second largest genre in the market. American cartoon Spongebob Squarepants is both the market’s most in-demand children’s and the overall in-demand title of the quarter.
• Relatedly, the animation genre also has a high demand share of 13.5%, making it the third largest genre over this quarter.
• This means that the usual high demand share genres like drama and comedy have lower shares than typical. However, the 34.2% of demand for drama series still represents the largest share of Ecuadorian audience attention.
How do Genre Demand Shares in Ecuador compare to global trends?
• Comparing the Ecuadorian genre demand shares to the quarter’s global average shares reveals just how unusual the children’s demand share here is. +12.8%
• The +12.8% larger share is likely a result of Ecuador’s demographics. An estimated ~41% of the country’s population is under 20 years old. For context, in the USA under 20s make up around ~27% of the population.
• Although as noted drama remains the genre with the largest demand share, comparison to global values shows drama demand is reduced the most by this. Ecuadorian audiences give this genre -6.9% lower attention against the global average.
For all titles, which subgenres are Ecuadorian audiences demanding most?
• The exceptional demand share for children’s content in Ecuador clearly influences the most demanded subgenres in the market. Three of the most demanded subgenres are in this genre, with Children (School Age) topping the list.
• The globally most demanded subgenre for the quarter, crime drama, only ranks seventh here. El Señor De Los Cielos from the USA’s Telemundo is Ecuador’s most in-demand crime drama series for Q1 2021.
• High demand in Ecuador for Spanish-language telenovela series like La Rosa De Guadalupe and Como Dice El Dicho results in a high demand for the soap opera subgenre.
• As it is throughout LATAM, anime is a highly in-demand subgenre in Ecuador. In this quarter, the most in-demand anime series is Attack on Titan.
For digital original titles, which genres are Ecuadorian audiences demanding most?
• The demand shares for digital original series in Ecuador are significantly different to the overall demand shares.
• The 38.2% demand share for action and adventure series makes this genre the most demanded type of digital original.
• Interestingly, Ecuadorians have taken strongly to the Disney+ platform, which launched in the market November 2020. Three of the four most demanded action and adventure series are Disney+ originals: superhero series WandaVision and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and Star Wars series The Mandalorian.
• Considering the genre’s exceptional demand in the overall market, investing in Spanish-language original kids series would be a great way for one of the global streaming platforms to capture a higher Ecuadorian market share.
This report is intended as a high-level overview of genre trends in this market. DEMAND360 Enterprise users have access to granular genre demand trends for specific platforms, title filters, custom timeframes and more in the Demand360 platform. To unlock access to these features, enquire about Enterprise subscription details here: https://www.parrotanalytics.com/contact.