This Parrot Analytics genre trend report for Japan reveals which genres and subgenres appealed to Japans's audiences the most during 2019 Q4.
The key questions investigated in this report include:
- Which genres are most in-demand for Japanese audiences this quarter?
- How do Japanese genre trends compare to global trends for the quarter?
- Which subgenres are most in-demand for Japanese audiences this quarter?
- For only digital original series, what genres are most demanded by Japanese audiences this quarter and how is this different to the overall shares?
A selection of findings from this report are provided below:
- In 2019 Q4, Japanese audiences expressed the most total demand for series in the drama genre, with a 35.7% share of demand. The most demanded Japanese drama this quarter is TV Tokyo’s The Solitary Gourmet.
- Compared to global averages, Japanese audiences express 12.9% more demand for animation series.
- Medical drama is the 8th most demanded subgenre In Japan, yet is not one of the top ten subgenres globally for the quarter. The most in-demand Japanese medical drama for 2019 Q4 is Code Blue.
- The 2019 Q4 genre shares for digital original series show that the Japanese taste for animations is not yet being fully supplied by SVODs. Animation only has an 8.6% demand share of digital originals, compared to 19.3% for all titles in Japan.