Parrot Analytics Genre Trend reports reveal which genres and subgenres appealed to a market's audiences the most during the quarter.
The key questions investigated in this report include:
1. Which genres are most in-demand for Filipino audiences this quarter?
2. How do genre trends in the Philippines compare to global trends for the quarter?
3. Which subgenres are most in-demand for Filipino audiences this quarter?
4. For only digital original series, what genres are most demanded by Filipino audiences this quarter and how is this different to the overall shares?
For all titles, which genres are Filipino audiences demanding most?
• In 2020 Q1, audiences in the Philippines expressed the most total demand for series in the drama genre. 41.0% of demand expressed was for series in this genre, with the most demanded drama being Netflix’s The Witcher.
• With 13.6%, comedy is the second most demanded genre. Animation is third with a demand share of 10.4% in this market. The Philippine’s most in-demand comedy and animation series of the quarter are NBC’s The Good Place and MBS’s My Hero Academia respectively.
• Children’s content is highly demanded in the Philippines, accounting for 8.6% of all expressed demand. The top title in this genre is Nickelodeon’s Spongebob Squarepants.
How do Genre Demand Shares in the Philippines compare to global trends?
• The Philippines is a strong market for animated series. The demand share from Filipino audiences for animation is 4.3% higher than the worldwide average demand share.
• Action and adventure series are also favored in the Philippines. The genre has 1.8% more demand share in this market than it does on average globally.
• Although comedy is still the second largest genre, it is not a strong genre in the Philippines. Compared to global demand shares, comedy has 2.2% less share of this market.
For all titles, which subgenres are Filipino audiences demanding most?
• 2020 Q1’s most in-demand subgenres in the Philippines is crime drama, which accounts for 7.8% of all demand expressed. Crime drama is also the quarter’s globally most demanded subgenre. The most-in demand crime drama series for Filipino audiences was Netflix’s You.
• Half of the most demanded subgenres are in the drama genre.
• Japanese animation is the third most demanded subgenre in the Philippines this quarter. This is one of the ten most demanded subgenres globally, but globally it accounts for 2.9% of demand while in this market it accounts for 6.5%.
For digital original titles, which genres are Filipino audiences demanding most?
• When only digital original titles are considered, the Philippine demand share for drama series remains the largest genre. Compared to the overall market, the share increases by 4.7%.
• The demand for action and adventure series increases substantially for digital originals from overall, going from a 10.4% share to a 22.2% share. The most in-demand action and adventure digital original for Filipino audiences was Disney+’s The Mandalorian.
• Keeping with the general underperformance of comedy series in this market, digital original comedy series also only have a 13.0% Demand share.
This report is intended as a high-level overview of genre trends in this market. To access more granular genre demand trends for specific platforms, types of titles, timeframes and more, contact your Parrot Analytics representative to discuss the Analyze tier.