Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the market share of SVOD platforms in Italy based on the Italian audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. The SVOD market share report leverages Italy demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 68 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: Italy SVOD Market Demand Report.
SVOD market share in Italy
We define “SVOD market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s digital originals. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Across all genres of digital original titles in Italy in 2018, Netflix titles account for 73% of expressed demand.
- The second highest demand share is for Prime Originals (11%), followed by Hulu titles (8%) and CBS All Access titles
- The 24 month demand share trend chart shows that whilst Netflix’s platform share is decreasing, this change is happening slower than in most other markets profiled in this report.
SVOD drama market share in Italy
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s drama digital originals in Italy. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- With 72% of the platform demand share for drama digital original titles in Italy, Netflix has the most demand out of all SVOD services for this genre.
- Prime Video drama titles have an 11% demand share in this market whilst Hulu titles account for 9%.
- In Italy, Netflix’s share of demand for drama digital originals has been slowly decreasing as evidenced by the 24 month trend chart.
SVOD action/adventure market share in Italy
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s action/adventure digital originals in Italy. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Over three quarters of all action/adventure demand in Italy in 2018 was for a Netflix original title.
- Hulu titles have the second largest demand share with 7% of the market whilst DC Universe has the third largest share with 5%.
- Netflix’s share of action/adventure demand is decreasing rapidly according to the 24-month demand series chart.
Download the free SVOD market share report for Italy
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for Italy. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
Italy Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the 2018 Italy SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in Italy have changed over the last 24 months, including the contribution made by DC Universe.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Learn where in the world content produced in Italy is the most wanted relative to the Italian home market; we refer to this as content travelability.
- Discover which sub genres resonate the most with Italians compared to the global average.
- Find out what the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in Italy looks like.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in Italy, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences in Italy.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the 2018 global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets.
- Discover the worldwide platform demand share of drama digital originals as well as the worldwide platform demand share of action/adventure digital originals.
- The increase in the global investment made by SVOD platforms over the last 5 years.
- The global growth of SVOD subscribers over the last 5 years.
- The increase in digital original titles worldwide over the last 7 years.
- A TV industry update for 2018 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- We have also included a mini analysis of the global demand for critically acclaimed digital original comedies.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.