Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the market share of SVOD platforms in Japan based on the audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. The SVOD market share report leverages Japan demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 60 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: Japan SVOD Market Demand Report.
SVOD TV market share in Japan
We define “SVOD market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s digital originals. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Across all genres, Netflix has the largest platform demand share for digital originals in Japan. However, at 60% it is the smallest Netflix demand share of all the markets in the report.
- This is due to the influence in this market of CBS All Access (6.6%) and Amazon Prime Video (14.8%) original titles. The demand shares for both these platforms are higher in Japan compared to the other markets.
- The 24 month chart shows that the long term trend of Netflix’s demand share declining has slowed to show a small gain over the course of Q1.
SVOD drama market share in Japan
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s drama digital originals in Japan. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- As with the overall genres trend, while Netflix has the largest drama original title demand share in Japan, at 55.2% it is the smallest Netflix drama demand share of all the markets in this report.
- In the drama genre this is due to CBS All Access (16.4%) and Amazon Prime Video (16.3%) original drama titles, which have larger demand shares here than in any other market in this report.
- The increase in platform share for drama originals from CBS All Access in this quarter can be observed in the 24 month chart.
SVOD action/adventure market share in Japan
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s action/adventure digital originals in Japan. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations.
- The Japanese market for action/adventure digital originals is the best for Amazon Prime Video in this report with 9.3% demand share.
- This is a historically strong market and genre for Amazon: 68.2% of all Japanese demand for action/adventure originals was for Amazon Prime Video originals in June 2017.
- After the USA, Japan has the smallest demand share for Netflix action/adventure originals with 47.7%. This makes it the other market where Netflix has a sub-50% share in action/adventure original series.
Download the free SVOD market share report for Japan
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for Japan. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
Japan Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the Japan SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in Japan have changed over the last 24 months.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Discover the genre demand share for all digital originals in this market as well as the 10 most in-demand subgenres in this territory.
- Find out the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in this market.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in Japan, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets; this has been calculated based on the worldwide demand for each platform’s originals.
- A TV industry update for Q1 2019 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- This report also includes data for the following additional territories: Belgium, China, Hungary, Ireland, Netherlands, Russia, South Africa, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ (Apple TV Plus), HBO Max by WarnerMedia/AT&T, NBCU/Comcast’s Peacock, Quibi and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.