Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Australia from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Australia digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- With a 16.8% share of digital original demand for comedies, Australia was one of the top three mostcomedy loving markets in this report.
- Audience demand for digital originals in Australia closely mirrors the average demand breakdown acrossgenres for countries in this report.
- Animation was one of the fastest growing digital original genres in Australia this year, increasing to a 6.7%share of demand from 4.7% in 2020.
- As in five other markets in this report, superhero series was the most in-demand digital original subgenre inAustralia in 2021.
- Thriller was the third most in-demand subgenre in Australia in 2021. This is the highest rank for thesubgenre in this report, which it also achieved in Spain.
- Romantic dramas also succeeded in Australia this year. It was the 9thmost in-demand subgenre for the yearin Australia and only ranked in the top ten subgenres in two other markets in this report.
Australia platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Of all markets in this report, Australian audiences expressed the highest share of demand for digital originalseries from Amazon Prime Video and Apple TV+, with 11.5% and 9.1% respectively.
- However, these platforms have been moving in opposite directions. Amazon Prime Video’s share of demandis down from 13.1% in 2020 while Apple TV+ is up from 5.8%.
- Netflix had the lowest demand share for the year in Australia of markets in this report. 38.6% of demand fordigital originals in Australia was for a Netflix original, well below the platform’s 47.1% share of demandglobally. The platform’s share of demand has declined consistently throughout the year from a high of 44.8% in January 2021.
- In 2021, the most in-demand digital original series in Australia is The Mandalorian, with 22.42 times the demand of the average show.
- Australians’ love of comedy can be seen in some of the most in-demand shows of the year. Comedies like Star Trek: Lower Decks and Hacks ranked higher in Australia than in any other market in this report.
- Ted Lasso, the globally popular comedy from Apple TV+, had 15.42 times the average series demand inAustralia this year. It ranked as the third most in-demand original series in Australia, the show’s joint highest rank in this report which it also achieved in Canada.
Australia platform demand share for drama and action/adventure digital originals
- Netflix has by far the smallest share of demand for drama originals in Australia of markets in this report (44.7%). Its share has trended down through the year and hit an all time low of 38.4% in December 2021.
- With a 12.9% share, Amazon Prime Video originals made up a larger share of demand for dramas inAustralia than in any other market in this report. The platform achieved a larger share of demand inDecember 2021 (15.9%) than at any point in the past two years.
- Hulu also saw a surge in demand for its dramas at the back half of the year. In September, Hulu’s dramas accounted for 16.4% of demand for digital original dramas, the platform’s largest share in two years.
- Similar to the drama genre, there was weak demand for Netflix’s action/adventure originals in Australia. The platform’s 21.7% share of demand in this genre was the second smallest of markets in this report.
- As with all markets covered in this report, Disney+ originals made up the largest share of demand for action/adventure originals in Australia. Australia was one of four markets in this report where the demand share for Disney+ originals exceeded 40%.
- Accounting for a 5.7% share of demand for action/adventure originals, Paramount+ achieved its secondlargest demand share in Australia of markets in this report.
Top digital original series in Australia
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2021 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.
For more information, check out the most up-to-date Australia television industry overview.