Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the market share of SVOD platforms in the Netherlands based on the audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. The SVOD market share report leverages Netherlands demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 60 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: Netherlands SVOD Market Demand Report.
SVOD TV market share in the Netherlands
We define “SVOD market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s digital originals. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- With 62.9%, Netflix Originals account for the majority of Dutch digital original demand. However, this is a lower demand share for Netflix than in most markets in the report.
- The Netherlands has a higher demand share than most other markets in this report for Amazon Prime Video originals: 11.7% of expressed demand in 2019 Q1 over all genres was for an Amazon original.
- Compared to other markets in this report, there have been few shifts in platform demand patterns in this market over the quarter.
SVOD drama market share in the Netherlands
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s drama digital originals in the Netherlands. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Netflix titles account for 61.0% of all demand expressed for digital original drama titles in the Netherlands in 2019 Q1.
- The Netherlands has 14.1% demand share for Amazon Prime Video drama originals. This is both the second largest platform within the market and an above average share when compared to other markets in this report.
- The 24 month chart shows that in the Netherlands, the trend over the most recent 12 months is growth for the demand share for drama from Amazon Prime Video.
SVOD action/adventure market share in the Netherlands
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s action/adventure digital originals in the Netherlands. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations.
- Netflix originals retain a majority of demand in this market and genre, accounting for 56.4% of Dutch demand for action/adventure digital originals.
- The second largest share of demand belongs to titles from DC Universe, which has 26.6% of action/adventure demand.
- Breaking the platform demand share down by individual months shows that the Netflix demand share in this genre contracted to 50.2% in January 2019.
Download the free SVOD market share report for the Netherlands
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for the Netherlands. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
Netherlands Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the Netherlands SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in the Netherlands have changed over the last 24 months.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Discover the genre demand share for all digital originals in this market as well as the 10 most in-demand subgenres in this territory.
- Find out the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in this market.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in the Netherlands, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets; this has been calculated based on the worldwide demand for each platform’s originals.
- A TV industry update for Q1 2019 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- This report also includes data for the following additional territories: Belgium, China, Hungary, Ireland, Japan, Russia, South Africa, United Kingdom and the United States.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ (Apple TV Plus), HBO Max by WarnerMedia/AT&T, NBCU/Comcast’s Peacock, Quibi and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.