Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the the most popular TV genres in the Netherlands based on the Dutch audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. Our television genre report leverages Dutch demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 60 page report, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: Netherlands television genre report.
The most popular television genres in the Netherlands
Parrot Analytics tracks tens of thousands of television titles in 100+ markets across all TV distribution platforms. This enables us to make the following observations concerning genres for the Netherlands:
- Drama is the largest genre, with 45.4% of Dutch demand for original series being expressed for digital original drama titles.
- The genre demand shares for digital originals in the Netherlands generally aligns with the average across all the markets in this report.
- Compared to the other markets, the demand share for animation (3.4%) is slightly lower than average while the demand share for action/adventure (16.7%) is slightly higher.
The most popular TV subgenres in the Netherlands
Here are our findings concerning TV subgenres:
- In the Netherlands, six of the subgenres with the most digital original demand in 2019 Q1 are from the drama genre. The most demanded drama subgenre is sci-fi drama.
- However, the single most in-demand subgenre in the market is superhero series, in the action/adventure genre.
- The most demanded comedy subgenre is sitcom, which is the fifth largest overall.
Download the free TV genre report for the Netherlands
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for the Netherlands. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
Netherlands Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the Netherlands SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in the Netherlands have changed over the last 24 months.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Discover the genre demand share for all digital originals in this market as well as the 10 most in-demand subgenres in this territory.
- Find out the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in this market.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in the Netherlands, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out theglobal SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets; this has been calculated based on the worldwide demand for each platform’s originals.
- A TV industry update for Q1 2019 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- This report also includes data for the following additional territories: Belgium, China, Hungary, Ireland, Japan, Russia, South Africa, United Kingdom and the United States.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ (Apple TV Plus), HBO Max by WarnerMedia/AT&T, NBCU/Comcast’s Peacock, Quibi and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.