Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the market share of SVOD platforms in South Africa based on the audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. The SVOD market share report leverages South African demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 60 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: South Africa SVOD Market Demand Report.
SVOD TV market share in South Africa
We define “SVOD market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s digital originals. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- The demand share for Netflix originals is 67.9% in South Africa. This is not only the largest share within the market, but also the largest Netflix share across all markets in this report.
- Contrasting that, the demand share for Amazon Prime Video originals in 2019 Q1 of 9.2% is second smallest across the markets, after Belgium.
- Although the over time chart shows that DC Universe has acquired a significant share in 2019 Q1, this has mostly come from the shares of platforms other than Netflix.
SVOD drama market share in South Africa
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s drama digital originals in South Africa. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Unlike the all genre platform demand share chart for South Africa, the drama digital original platform demand shares have no outliers and are close to the average of all markets in this report.
- With 68.5%, Netflix drama originals have the largest demand share.
- The 24 month trend for this market does not reveal any unusual patterns in demand shares recently.
SVOD action/adventure market share in South Africa
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s action/adventure digital originals in South Africa. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations.
- In 2019 Q1, Netflix originals have 56.3% share of the demand for action/adventure digital original titles in South Africa.
- DC Universe titles have 26.4% demand share and Hulu titles have 12.2%.
- The 24 month trend in platform demand for this genre shows Hulu titles have lost share recently. Hulu’s 18.5% demand share of action/adventure originals at the start of Q1 was down to 8.7% by the end of the quarter.
Download the free SVOD market share report for South Africa
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for South Africa. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
South Africa Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the South Africa SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in South Africa have changed over the last 24 months.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Discover the genre demand share for all digital originals in this market as well as the 10 most in-demand subgenres in this territory.
- Find out the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in this market.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in South Africa, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets; this has been calculated based on the worldwide demand for each platform’s originals.
- A TV industry update for Q1 2019 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- This report also includes data for the following additional territories: Belgium, China, Hungary, Ireland, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, United Kingdom and the United States.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ (Apple TV Plus), HBO Max by WarnerMedia/AT&T, NBCU/Comcast’s Peacock, Quibi and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.