Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the the most popular TV genres in South Africa based on the South African audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. Our television genre report leverages South African demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 60 page report, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: South Africa television genre report.
The most popular television genres in South Africa
Parrot Analytics tracks tens of thousands of television titles in 100+ markets across all TV distribution platforms. This enables us to make the following observations concerning genres for South Africa:
- Compared to the other markets, South Africa has the highest demand share in this report for action/adventure digital originals. 17.8% of the demand for original series in this market is in this genre.
- At 3.9%, South Africa also has a higher demand share for horror originals than every other market, except Russia.
- Conversely, South African audiences express below average demand for the reality genre, with a demand share of only 1.7%.
The most popular TV subgenres in South Africa
Here are our findings concerning TV subgenres:
- Half of the ten most in-demand subgenres in South Africa are in the drama genre, with sci-fi drama the biggest of these.
- However, the largest single subgenre in the market is superhero series, in the action/adventure subgenre.
- South Africa has more demand than most markets for the animated sitcom subgenre, which is the 8 th largest subgenre in the market.
Download the free TV genre report for South Africa
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for South Africa. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
South Africa Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the South Africa SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in South Africa have changedover the last 24 months.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Discover the genre demand share for all digital originals in this market as well as the 10 most in-demand subgenres in this territory.
- Find out the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in this market.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in South Africa, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets; this has been calculated based on the worldwide demand for each platform’s originals.
- A TV industry update for Q1 2019 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- This report also includes data for the following additional territories: Belgium, China, Hungary, Ireland, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, United Kingdom and the United States.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ (Apple TV Plus), HBO Max by WarnerMedia/AT&T, NBCU/Comcast’s Peacock, Quibi and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.