Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the market share of SVOD platforms in Spain based on the Spanish audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. The SVOD market share report leverages Spain demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 68 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: Spain SVOD Market Demand Report.
SVOD market share in Spain
We define “SVOD market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s digital originals. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Across all genres of digital original titles in Spain over 2018, Netflix titles account for nearly three quarters (74%) of expressed demand.
- Prime Video and Hulu titles have the second and third largest platform demand share of the Spanish market, with 9% each.
- Although Netflix titles continue to capture the most market demand, the Spanish Netflix share is down considerably since the peak in June 2017 when Netflix held a 96% share.
SVOD drama market share in Spain
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s drama digital originals in Spain. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Three quarters of all demand for digital original dramas in Spain is expressed for Netflix titles.
- Both titles from Hulu and Prime Video account for 8% of SVOD original drama demand, while CBS All Access titles account for 6%
- Netflix’s once near 100% demand share in Spain has been impacted by growth in demand for Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access drama titles during 2018.
SVOD action/adventure market share in Spain
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s action/adventure digital originals in Spain. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Spanish action/adventure audiences prefer Netflix titles more than the other markets in this report, with 79% of all genre demand expressed for a Netflix Original in 2018.
- The strong Netflix position means DC Universe and Hulu only have 5% of the market each.
- The 24 month chart shows that competitors have been making up ground towards the end of 2018.
Download the free SVOD market share report for Spain
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for Spain. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
Spain Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the 2018 Spain SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in Spain have changed over the last 24 months, including the contribution made by DC Universe.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Learn where in the world content produced in Spain is the most wanted relative to the Spanish home market; we refer to this as content travelability.
- Discover which sub genres resonate the most with Spaniards compared to the global average.
- Find out what the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in Spain looks like.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in Spain, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences in Spain.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the 2018 global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets.
- Discover the worldwide platform demand share of drama digital originals as well as the worldwide platform demand share of action/adventure digital originals.
- The increase in the global investment made by SVOD platforms over the last 5 years.
- The global growth of SVOD subscribers over the last 5 years.
- The increase in digital original titles worldwide over the last 7 years.
- A TV industry update for 2018 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- We have also included a mini analysis of the global demand for critically acclaimed digital original comedies.
For more information, check out the most up-to-date Spain television industry overview.