This section of the Parrot Analytics MIP Cancun 2022 Whitepaper explores content trends across Brazil for the first half of 2022.
We reveal the market’s SVOD demand share by original platform for digital originals and also present our findings on the genre preferences of audiences here, the whitespace opportunities, and the top 20 overall most in-demand series across all platforms.
Which platform’s originals are most in-demand in Brazil?
- Over the last year, there has been an increase in the demand for HBO Max and Apple TV+ in Brazil, while the demand share for Hulu and Netflix has been dropping. Besides the recent drop, Brazil is the market in this report with the largest share of demand for Hulu originals.
- HBO Max manages to carve a place behind of only Netflix and Disney+ in the terms of demand share for originals in Brazil, with 10.8%.
• The share of demand for Disney+ original content is lower in Brazil than elsewhere in LATAM. Besides the growth in recent years, the demand share for Disney+ is 11.8% in Brazil.
• Local platform Globoplay has carved out a respectable 1.6% share of demand for its original content in Brazil, which consists mainly of shows that attracted the audience’s attention when aired on the country’s main linear tv channel.
How do Brazil Genre Preferences compare to the Global Average?
• Brazil is the market in this report with the smallest share of demand for animation and one of the few with a smaller share of demand than the global average.
• All markets we looked at had an above global-average share of demand for variety content, but Brazil stood out as one of the most variety-loving market with a share of demand for this genre +82.6% larger than the global share.
Where are there Whitespace opportunities to satisfy demand in Brazil?
• Late-night talk shows stand out as notably successful in Brazil with almost twice the average microgenre demand but very few titles.
• Procedural content also is a notable whitespace opportunity in Brazil, with about twice the average microgenre demand but fewer than half of the titles.
Top Series in Brazil
Here are the top 20 most in-demand series for the first half of the year in Brazil across all platforms and networks: