Parrot Analytics SVOD platform trend reports reveal which SVOD’s digital original series are appealing most to audiences in a market during these three months, dive deeper into how this looks for the dynamic action and adventure genre and shed light on the overall size of digital original series within the entire market.
The key questions investigated in this report:
- Are audiences in Austria demanding more linear or more digital content?
- Which SVOD’s original series are demanded most by audiences in Austria and how is this evolving?
- In the Action and Adventure genre, which SVOD’s original series are demanded most by audiences in Austria and how is this evolving?
Are audiences in Austria demanding more linear or digital content?
- Between July and September 2021, 83.6% of all demand in Austria is expressed for a linear series, leaving 16.4% of demand for digital original series.
- This is in line with the number of titles in each category, with 87.7% originating from a linear channel. However, the 12.3% title share to 16.4% demand share does point to an overall higher per-title demand for digital originals compared to linear series.
- When demand here is compared to global audiences, we see that Austrian audiences favor linear series more than average. Worldwide, only 80.5% of all expressed demand in these three months is for a digital original series.
Which SVOD’s original series are most in-demand by audiences in Austria?
- Over these three months, Netflix has the highest demand share for digital original series in Austria. 44.4% of all demand expressed for digital original series was expressed for a Netflix original. This Austrian share is in line with Netflix’s global share of 45.0%.
- The second highest share of Austrian digital original demand belongs to Disney+ series. Austria is a strong market for Disney+, in this market over July to August 2021 Disney+ series attract 8.4% of demand as opposed to 8.3% globally.
- Worldwide, Amazon Prime Video original series hold the second largest share. However, the strength of Disney+ in Austria has pushed them to third here.
The next chart shows how the demand shares for these five platforms have evolved over the past 12 months:
- Looking at trends over the past 12 months, a major movement in this market is the demand share for Netflix originals trending downward. Following the release of Cobra Kai S4, the Netflix share peaked at 56.4% in January 2021.
- However, by September 2021 the share has declined to a low of 41.2%, although surprise Korean hit Squid Game released towards the end of September which may reverse this trend in October.
- The demand share for Disney grew over these 12 months, especially in July 2021 following the release of Marvel series Loki.
Which SVOD’s Action and Adventure original series are demanded most by audiences in Austria?
- In the tentpole-heavy action and adventure genre, the demand shares show an accelerated version of the trend across all genres. In this slice of the Austrian content market, Disney+ leads with a 58.1% share while Netflix series account for a 19.1% share.
- Series like Loki and Star Wars: The Bad Batch all have high demand from Austrian audiences in these three months. Additionally, other Disney+ series retained high demand like Wandavision, which last released new episodes in March and yet still averaged six times the demand of the average series.
- Like Disney+’s Marvel series, the HBO Max stable of DC superhero series also perform well in Austria. Driven by originals like Titans and Doom Patrol, HBO Max accounts for an 8.4% demand share.
The next chart shows how the action and adventure demand shares for these five platforms have evolved over the past 12 months:
- Over the past 12 months, the rise of Disney+’s demand share in this segment can be seen. Starting in October 2021 with just a 22.8% demand share of action and adventure digital originals, by January 2021 the platform’s originals account for more than 50% of demand, a level which so far it has not dropped below.
- The effect on Austrian demand of the release of high-profile Marvel series in 2021 is
apparent. The Disney+ demand share jumps upwards after WandaVision in January, The Falcon And The Winter Soldier in March and Loki in June.
- Demand share for Hulu originals grew in September 2021, driven by high Austrian demand
for Y: The Last Man.
This report is intended as a high-level overview of demand for SVOD original series in this market. As originals are a key driver of subscriber acquisitions, DEMAND360 Enterprise users can compare these series with custom filters, timeframes and more in the Demand360 platform. To unlock access to these features, enquire about Enterprise subscription details here: https://www.parrotanalytics.com/contact.