Parrot Analytics SVOD platform trend reports reveal which SVOD’s digital original series are appealing most to audiences in a market during the quarter, dive deeper into how this looks for the dynamic action and adventure genre and shed light on the overall size of digital original series within the entire market.
The key questions investigated in this report:
1. Are Indian audiences demanding more linear or more digital content?
2. Which SVOD’s original series are demanded most by Indian audiences and how is this evolving?
3. In the Action and Adventure genre, which SVOD’s original series are demanded most by Indian audiences and how is this evolving?
Are Indian audiences demanding more linear or digital content?
• In India in 2019 Q4, 21.1% of all expressed demand is for a digital original series from local or global streaming platforms.
• This means that linear series originating from more traditional network, cable and satellite platforms still account for the majority of audience attention in this market.
• However, streaming series are outperforming linear series on a per-unit basis. Digital original titles made up only 12.0% of the total number of series tracked in India yet attracted 21.1% of the demand.
Which SVOD’s original series are most in-demand by Indian audiences?
• Netflix’s original series have the largest demand share this quarter with 59% of Indian demand. This is slightly higher than the global demand share for Netflix original series, 56%.
• India is a strong market for Amazon Prime Video. 17% of demand for digital originals in the quarter is for an Amazon series.
• Indian audiences responded particularly well to Apple original series. Apple TV+ launched partway through the quarter on November 1st, yet still gained a 2% demand share.
The next chart shows how the demand shares for these five platforms have evolved over the past 12 months:
• The biggest impact on Indian digital original series demand shares is the launch of Apple TV+ in November 2019. In December 2019, Apple originals accounted for 4.1% of all demand for digital original series.
• Although almost all platforms lost a small amount of demand share, the Apple TV+ launch impacted Netflix most. From October to December 2019, Netflix lost around 6% demand share.
• Demand for titles from other platforms nearly doubled over the 12 months, from 7.6% in January to 13.6% in December 2019.
Which SVOD’s Action and Adventure original series are demanded most by Indian audiences?
• With a 39% demand share of action and adventure digital originals, Netflix originals still have a leading place in India. However, this share is considerably lower than their 59% share of the overall digital original market.
• Original series from Amazon Prime Video have a 19% demand share in India. This is 2% better than their overall share in India and 5% better than the global demand share in this genre.
• Although series from Disney+ have gained a strong share of Indian action and adventure demand, the 10% they have here is lower than the global share of 14%.
The next chart shows how the action and adventure demand shares for these five platforms have evolved over the past 12 months:
• Although not officially available in India, the release of Disney+ action and adventure original series had a large impact on the market. The demand share of Disney+ series in December 2019 is 22%.
• Unlike Apple TV+’s effect overall, demand for Disney+ mostly came at the expense of Amazon Prime Video, which lost 8% demand share from October to December 2019.
• The demand share for DC Universe originals generally stayed at around a third in India over the 12 months.
This report is intended as a high-level overview of the SVOD market in this country. To access more granular platform demand trends for specific platforms, genres, timeframes and more, contact your Parrot Analytics representative to discuss the Analyze tier.