This Parrot Analytics SVOD platform trend report for the United States reveals which which SVOD’s digital original series appealed most to American audiences between April and June 2020.
The key questions investigated in this report include:
- Are American audiences demanding more linear or more digital content?
- Which SVOD’s original series are demanded most by American audiences and how is this demand evolving?
- In the action and adventure genre, which SVOD’s original series are demanded most by American audiences and how is this demand evolving?
A selection of findings from this report are provided below:
- Although many of the world’s biggest streaming platforms are US-based, they still face strong competition from legacy media companies domestically. Linear series still account for a much larger share of US demand than digital streaming originals.
- Although initially impacted by the launch of originals from new services like Disney+ and Apple TV+, Netflix's share of the digital original market has started to recover. In Q2 2020, Netflix's US digital original series demand share reached 3.6% higher than the 12 month low.
- Disney + and DC Universe action and adventure originals are effectively capturing US audience attention. Both services have a higher demand share in the United States than they do globally.