Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the global travelability of Australian local television productions as well as how the demand for TV subgenres differs from the global average by leveraging Parrot Analytics global TV demand data.
Please download the full 68 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: Australia TV content travelability and subgenres report.
The international success of local TV productions from Australia
We define “content travelability” as the global popularity of a title relative to its home market. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Content from Australia travels best to the United States and the United Kingdom, as well as its neighbour New Zealand.
- Surprisingly, content from Australia travels better to China than English-speaking Canada. Australian content has the lowest global travelability of the English-speaking markets in this report with 9.8%. However, this is still almost twice as good as the average of the other markets in this report.
The most popular television subgenres in Australia
Parrot Analytics tracks tens of thousands of TV shows in 100+ markets across all television distribution platforms. This enables us to make the following observations concerning subgenres for Australia:
- The largest demand share is for sitcoms, which accounts for 9.3% of all expressed demand in this market, 0.5% more than the global average.
- Australian audiences generally mirror global preferences: None of the subgenres with the highest demand share in this market are more than 0.8% different from the global average.
- Although superhero titles represent the fourth most in-demand subgenre, the subgenre’s demand share in Australia is 0.8% less than the worldwide average.
Download our free TV content travelability and subgenres report for Australia
Download this report now and discover the latest TV travelability and subgenres data trends for Australia. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
Australia Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the 2018 Australia SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in Australia have changed over the last 24 months, including the contribution made by DC Universe.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Learn where in the world content produced in Australia is the most wanted relative to the Australia home market; we refer to this as content travelability.
- Discover which sub genres resonate the most with Australians compared to the global average.
- Find out what the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in Australia looks like.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in Australia, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences in Australia
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the 2018 global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets.
- Discover the worldwide platform demand share of drama digital originals as well as the worldwide platform demand share of action/adventure digital originals.
- The increase in the global investment made by SVOD platforms over the last 5 years.
- The global growth of SVOD subscribers over the last 5 years.
- The increase in digital original titles worldwide over the last 7 years.
- A TV industry update for 2018 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- We have also included a mini analysis of the global demand for critically acclaimed digital original comedies.
Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.