Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the global travelability of British local television productions as well as how the demand for TV subgenres differs from the global average by leveraging Parrot Analytics global TV demand data.
Please download the full 68 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: United Kingdom TV content travelability and subgenres report.
The international success of local TV productions from the United Kingdom
We define “content travelability” as the global popularity of a title relative to its home market. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- British content travels well to the United States, registering a travelability of 73%. Only Canadian content is more successful than this out of all 10 markets in this report (113%).
- Other high-performing markets for UK content include Australia, the Netherlands and Russia.
- With a high global travelability of 18.6%, UK content travels well to international markets. This level of travelability is higher than most markets, yet Canada (29.9%) still has higher travelability than the UK.
The most popular television subgenres in the United Kingdom
Parrot Analytics tracks tens of thousands of TV shows in 100+ markets across all television distribution platforms. This enables us to make the following observations concerning subgenres for the United Kingdom:
- The largest demand share is for sitcoms, which accounts for 9.10% of all expressed demand in this market, 0.3% more than the global average.
- The two next most in-demand subgenres in the UK both also have a larger demand share than the global average, crime drama is over-represented by 0.3% and sci-fi drama by 0.5%.
- The UK is the closest market in this report to the global averages, with the largest difference being fantasy drama, which has 0.53% less demand share.
Download our free TV content travelability and subgenres report for the United Kingdom
Download this report now and discover the latest TV travelability and subgenres data trends for the United Kingdom. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
United Kingdom Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the 2018 United Kingdom SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in the U.K. have changed over the last 24 months, including the contribution made by DC Universe.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Learn where in the world content produced in the United Kingdom is the most wanted relative to the U.K. home market; we refer to this as content travelability.
- Discover which sub genres resonate the most with the British compared to the global average.
- Find out what the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in the United Kingdom looks like.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in the United Kingdom, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences in the U.K.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the 2018 global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets.
- Discover the worldwide platform demand share of drama digital originals as well as the worldwide platform demand share of action/adventure digital originals.
- The increase in the global investment made by SVOD platforms over the last 5 years.
- The global growth of SVOD subscribers over the last 5 years.
- The increase in digital original titles worldwide over the last 7 years.
- A TV industry update for 2018 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- We have also included a mini analysis of the global demand for critically acclaimed digital original comedies.
Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.