Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the global travelability of German local television productions as well as how the demand for TV subgenres differs from the global average by leveraging Parrot Analytics global TV demand data.
Please download the full 68 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: Germany TV content travelability and subgenres report.
The international success of local TV productions from Germany
We define “content travelability” as the global popularity of a title relative to its home market. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- As might be expected, content from Germany performs best in the DACH countries of Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- Content from Germany travels better to the USA (13%) than to France (8%).
- Globally, German content has 5.6% travelability, equal to French content and approximately in the middle of the 10 countries in this report, with Canada being highest (29.9%) and Brazil being lowest (2.4%).
The most popular television subgenres in Germany
Parrot Analytics tracks tens of thousands of TV shows in 100+ markets across all television distribution platforms. This enables us to make the following observations concerning subgenres for Germany:
- The largest demand share is for crime drama which is 0.60% more than the global average. (Incidentally, crime dramas also account for 9.3% of all demand in this market, the most expressed for any subgenre in Germany.)
- Germans are more enthusiastic about crime dramas and competition reality titles than the worldwide average.
- Superhero series have a 1.3% lower demand share than the global average in this market.
Download our free TV content travelability and subgenres report for Germany
Download this report now and discover the latest TV travelability and subgenres data trends for Germany. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
Germany Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the 2018 Germany SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in Germany have changed over the last 24 months, including the contribution made by DC Universe.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Learn where in the world content produced in Germany is the most wanted relative to the German home market; we refer to this as content travelability.
- Discover which sub genres resonate the most with Germans compared to the global average.
- Find out what the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in Germany looks like.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in Germany, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences in Germany
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the 2018 global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets.
- Discover the worldwide platform demand share of drama digital originals as well as the worldwide platform demand share of action/adventure digital originals.
- The increase in the global investment made by SVOD platforms over the last 5 years.
- The global growth of SVOD subscribers over the last 5 years.
- The increase in digital original titles worldwide over the last 7 years.
- A TV industry update for 2018 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- We have also included a mini analysis of the global demand for critically acclaimed digital original comedies.
Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.