Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the global travelability of United States local television productions as well as how the demand for TV subgenres differs from the global average by leveraging Parrot Analytics global TV demand data.
Please download the full 68 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: United States TV content travelability and subgenres report.
The international success of local TV productions from the United States
We define “content travelability” as the global popularity of a title relative to its home market. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Content travelability reveals where in the world local productions find an audience overseas, relative to the content’s country of origin.
- Content from the USA travels best to other Anglosphere markets like Canada and the UK. For example, in Canada the average American title has 53% of the demand the same average title would have in the USA.
- US content also travels better than content from most other markets, with a high global travelability of 19.6%, the second highest percentage out of all 10 markets in this report.
The most popular television subgenres in the United States
Parrot Analytics tracks tens of thousands of TV shows in 100+ markets across all television distribution platforms. This enables us to make the following observations concerning subgenres for the United States:
- These are the ten subgenres with the highest demand share from US audiences for all TV titles, including SVOD, cable and broadcast titles. The largest demand share is for sitcoms, which accounts for 8.6% of all expressed demand in this market, 0.2% less than the global average.
- Compared to the global averages, US viewers prefer sci-fi dramas and anime; the demand share in this market for both of these subgenres is 3.9% higher than the global average.
- Although still the second largest subgenre, crime dramas actually have 2.4% less demand share in the US than they do globally.
Download our free TV content travelability and subgenres report for the United States
Download this report now and discover the latest TV travelability and subgenres data trends for the United States. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
United States Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the 2018 United States SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in the U.S. have changed over the last 24 months, including the contribution made by DC Universe.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Learn where in the world content produced in the United States is the most wanted relative to the U.S. home market; we refer to this as content travelability.
- Discover which sub genres resonate the most with Americans compared to the global average.
- Find out what the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in the United States looks like.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in the United States, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences in the USA.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the 2018 global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets.
- Discover the worldwide platform demand share of drama digital originals as well as the worldwide platform demand share of action/adventure digital originals.
- The increase in the global investment made by SVOD platforms over the last 5 years.
- The global growth of SVOD subscribers over the last 5 years.
- The increase in digital original titles worldwide over the last 7 years.
- A TV industry update for 2018 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- We have also included a mini analysis of the global demand for critically acclaimed digital original comedies.
Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.