Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in India in Q1, 2022?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for India from The Global Demand Report. Enjoy!
India Genre and Subgenre Preferences for Series
- With 47.0% demand share, drama was the most in-demand genre in India for Q1 2022. This is the largest share for the genre across all markets in this report.
- In contrast, variety captured only 2.2% of Indian audiences’ attention in Q1 2022–the lowest share of demand for the genre in this report.
- India was the market with the second largest share of demand (7.6%) for the action/adventure genre in this quarter.
- As the 5th most in-demand subgenre in Q1 2022, soap opera ranked higher in India than in any other market in this report.
- Asian audiences showed their love for romantic drama in this report. The subgenre ranked thehighest India (3rd) and Thailand (2nd) in Q1 2022.
- Thriller also ranked higher in India than in any other market in this report as the 7th most in-demand subgenre in Q1 2022.
India Originals Share of Demand and Demand Distribution
- Netflix captured 13.5% of Indian demand in Q1 2022. This is Netflix’s largest share of demand across all markets in this report.
- Indian and Venezuelan audiences expressed the smallest share of demand for content from NBC out of all markets in this report. The 3.5% share of demand for NBC content was well below its global share of demand (4.3%).
- With 4.3%, Amazon Prime Video achieved its highest demand share in India in this report.
- Naagin, the drama from ColorsTV, was the most in-demand show in India in Q1 2022 with 24.14 times the average series demand.
- Shark Tank India, from Sony Entertainment, was the most in-demand reality series in India this quarter with 21.72 times the average series demand.
- Friends, the comedy from NBC, ranked higher with Indian audiences than in any other market covered in this report.
Top Series in India
Here are the top 20 most in-demand series in Q1 2022 across all platforms and networks in India: