Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Germany in Q1, 2022?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Germany from The Global Demand Report. Enjoy!
Germany Genre and Subgenre Preferences for Series
- German audiences gave the largest share of demand to drama series in Q1 2022. However, the 35.4% share of demand for this genre was below its global share of demand (39.3%).
- Germany was one of the most reality-loving markets in this report, giving a 12.2% share of demand to the genre for the quarter.
- Horror content was notably unpopular in Germany where it accounted for under a 1% share of demand for all series in Q1 2022.
- Crime drama ranked as the most in-demand subgenre in Germany for the quarter. It was the top subgenre in five of the markets in this report.
- A love of competition reality helped drive high demand for the reality genre in Germany. Competition reality ranked as the 8th most in-demand subgenre for the quarter.
- Germany was one of four markets covered in this report where thriller ranked in the top ten most in-demand subgenres.
Germany Originals Share of Demand and Demand Distribution
- Netflix originals made up the largest share of original demand in Germany in Q1 2022. The 8.6% of demand German audiences gave to the platform’s originals for the quarter was below the global share of demand for the platform’s originals (10.4%).
- Content from CBS was uniquely successful in Germany this quarter where it made up the second largest share of demand for originals with 5.5%.
- Discovery content achieved one of its largest demand shares in Germany this quarter with 2.4%. Discovery branded content’s strength in the reality genre appealed to German audiences who are fans of the genre
- The Witcher was the most in-demand show in Germany in Q1 2022 with 25.45 times the average series demand in Q1 2022 following its second season premiere on December 17, 2021.
- Germany’s Next Topmodel, from ProSieben, was the most in-demand reality series in Germany this quarter when it had 17.54 times the average series demand.
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the police comedy from FOX, has found fans in Germany. In 19th place, it ranked higher in Germany than in any other market covered in this report.
Top Series in Germany
Here are the top 20 most in-demand series in Q1 2022 across all platforms and networks in Germany:
For more information, check out the most up-to-date Germany television industry overview.