Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Japan in Q2, 2022?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Japan from The Global Demand Report. Enjoy!
Japan Genre and Subgenre Preferences for Series
- In Q2 2022, animation series were very popular with Japanese audiences who gave the genre a 49.7% share of demand–almost 4 times the global share of demand (12.4%).
- On the other hand, Japan gave the lowest share of demand for reality content (3.2%) in this report–a third of the global share of demand (9.6%) for the genre.
- Japan also presented the lowest demand shares for action and adventure (3.9%), children (2.8%), comedy (7.9%), horror (0.4%) and sports (0.5%) in Q2 2022.
- Japanese Animation ranked as the most in-demand subgenre in Japan in this quarter. It edged out Romantic Drama by 90% demand for the quarter.
- Romantic drama ranked higher in Japan than in any other market in this report as the 2nd most in-demand subgenre in Q2 2022.
- Japan was the only market to rank Mystery Drama, Talk Show, Thriller, and Historical Drama subgenres in the top 10 in this report.
Japan Originals Share of Demand and Demand Distribution
- Japan was a very competitive market, crowded with strong local players. Netflix (5.8%), NBC (1.4%), CBS (1.8%), HBO (1.9%) and Disney (2.2%) each had their lowest demand share in this market in Q2 2022.
- The 5.8% share of demand from Netflix in the Japanese market was well below the global share for Netflix (10.0%).
- Content from NBC was particularly unpopular in Japan where it achieved its lowest demand share this quarter. The 1.4% share of demand from Japanese audiences was below its global share of demand (4.0%).
- The animation from TV Tokyo, Spy X Family, was the most in-demand show in Japan in with 30.31 times the average series demand in Q2 2022.
- Nogizaka Under Construction, from TV Tokyo, was the most in-demand non-animation series in Japan in Q2 2022 with 17.7 times the average series demand.
- The animation Komi Can’t Communicate was the most in-demand Netflix show in Japan this quarter with 13.53 times the average series demand.
Top Series in Japan
Here are the top 20 most in-demand series in Q2 2022 across all platforms and networks in Japan:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report.