Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in the Malaysia in Q2, 2022?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Malaysia from The Global Demand Report. Enjoy!
Malaysia Genre and Subgenre Preferences for Series
- Action/adventure captured 9.9% share of demand in Malaysia in this quarter. This is the third largest share of demand for the genre across all markets in this report.
- With strong demand for shows like Upin & Ipin (14.1x) and Attack On Titan (11.5x), Malaysia had the second largest demand for the animation genre in Q2 2022.
- Malaysian audiences gave the second lowest share of demand to comedy series in Q2 2022. The 9.8% shareof demand for the genre was significantly lower than its global share of demand (13.8%).
- Japanese Animation was the most in-demand subgenre in Malaysia in Q2 2022. Its total demand was more than double that of School, the 2nd most in-demand subgenre in the market.
- Malaysia was one of four markets (along with Japan, Singapore and the US) in this report where Animated Comedy ranked in the top ten most in-demand subgenres.
- Malaysia and Peru were the only markets to rank Cartoon in the top 10 most in-demand subgenres in this report.
Malaysia Originals Share of Demand and Demand Distribution
- Despite making up the smallest share of demand in Malaysia in Q2 2022, the 2.0% demand share for Nickelodeon in this market was above its global share of demand (1.4%).
- In Q2 2022, Malaysia had the second largest share of demand for content from Disney with 8% demand share–more than twice its global share of demand (3.9%).
- Nickelodeon had very low shares of demand (< 3.5%) in this report, but it was especially unpopular with Malaysian audiences where it presented its lowest demand share (2%).
- Spongebob Squarepants, was Nickelodeon’s most popular production with Malaysian audiences in Q2 2022 where it had 12.30 times the average series demand.
- Upin & Ipin, from TV9, was the most in-demand animation series in Malaysia this quarter when it had 14.11 times the average series demand.
- The Mandalorian, the action/adventure show from Disney+, had 9 times the average series demand in Malaysia in Q2 2022.
Top Series in Malaysia
Here are the top 20 most in-demand series in Q2 2022 across all platforms and networks in Malaysia: