Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in South Africa in Q3, 2022?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for South Africa from The Global Demand Report. Enjoy!
South Africa Genre and Subgenre Preferences for Series
- Action and Adventure series were very popular in South Africa in Q3 2022. The 8.8% share of demand for the genre was the second-largest in this report.
- The variety genre had its lowest share of demand in South Africa in this quarter at 2.0%, below its global average of 3.5%.
- Audience demand share for animation programming in South Africa (7.1%) was the second-lowest in this report, significantly smaller than the genre’s global share (12.5%) in Q3 2022.
- Crime Drama was the most in-demand subgenre by far in South Africa this quarter. It had nearly twice the demand of the second ranked sitcom subgenre.
- Though Japanese Animation was the most in-demand subgenre globally in Q3 2022, it ranked just sixth in South Africa.
- The Procedural Drama subgenre ranked higher in South Africa than any other market in this report.
South Africa Originals Share of Demand and Demand Distribution
- South Africa either led all markets in this report or were tied for the largest share of originals demand from Netflix (10.8%), NBC (5.7%), CBS (7.2%), Fox (4.1%) and The CW (4.2%).
- Series from Discovery were especially unpopular in South Africa as the platform’s audience demand share (1.9%) was tied for the lowest in this report.
- Content from Disney had its third smallest demand share in South Africa this quarter with 4.4% - which is still above the platform’s global share of demand (4.0%).
- Despite ranking among the middle tier in audience demand (12.4%) for reality programming among the markets in this report, unscripted series Love Island: UK (6) and The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (8) ranked among the top 10 most in demand series in South Africa in Q3 2022.
- Netflix, which accounted for the highest share of audience demand (10.8%) for originals in South Africa, notched the top two titles in Stranger Things (1) and Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story (2).
- Grey’s Anatomy ranked higher in South Africa (9) than any other market in this report in Q3 2022.
Top Series in South Africa
Here are the top 20 most in-demand series in Q3 2022 across all platforms and networks in South Africa:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report.