Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in the United Kingdom in Q1, 2022?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for the United Kingdom from The Global Demand Report. Enjoy!
United Kingdom Genre and Subgenre Preferences for Series
- Comedy, documentary and sports content had the largest shares of demand in the UK in Q1 2022 (16.4%, 8.2% and 1.6%, respectively) of markets in this report.
- Animation was particularly unpopular in the UK in this quarter. UK audiences gave the genre its lowest share of demand (6.9%) in this report.
- UK audiences gave a large share of demand to reality content in Q1 2022. The 12.5% share of demand for this genre was higher than its global share of demand (10.2%).
- Crime drama ranked as the most in-demand subgenre in the UK for the quarter. It ranked as the top three subgenre in every market in this report, except for Venezuela.
- As the 3rd most in-demand subgenre this quarter, comedy drama ranked higher in the UK than in any other market in this report.
- As the 5th most in-demand subgenre in the quarter, Japanese anime ranked lower in the United Kingdom than any other market in this country
United Kingdom Originals Share of Demand and Demand Distribution
- Local player BBC made up the largest share of demand in the UK in Q1 2022. The 17.3% demand share was more than four times higher than the global share of demand for the platform’s content (3.9%).
- Cartoon Network had very low shares of demand (< 4%) in this report, but it was especially unpopular in the UK where it presented its lowest demand share in the UK (1.5%).
- Disney also had a hard time grabbing the attention of British audiences–the platform had its lowest share of demand in the UK (2.9%) in this report.
- Doctor Who was the most in-demand show in the UK in Q1 2022. The drama from BBC One had 29.96 times the average series demand in the quarter and it ranked higher in the UK than any other market covered in this report.
- Formula 1, from SkySports, was the most in-demand sports title in the UK this quarter when it had 24.14 times the average series demand.
- RuPaul’s Drag Race, from VH1, was the highest ranked reality series in the UK with 19.56 times the average series demand.
Top Series in the United Kingdom
Here are the top 20 most in-demand series in Q1 2022 across all platforms and networks in the United Kingdom:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report.