Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in the United States in Q1, 2022?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for the United States from The Global Demand Report. Enjoy!
United States Genre and Subgenre Preferences for Series
- The US is the most reality-loving market in Q1 2022 with a 15.7% share of demand for the genre.
- American audiences gave the lowest shares of demand to action/adventure (5.4%) and drama(27.1%) genres across all markets in this report.
- The US gave the second largest share of demand to the documentary genre in Q1 2022. The 7.9%share of demand for this genre was higher than the global share of demand (5.3%).
- Sitcom ranked higher in the US than any other market in this report and was the most in-demandsubgenre in the US for Q1 2022. Sitcom was the top 3 most in-demand subgenre in all markets inthis report, except for Brazil, Thailand and Venezuela.
- Along with Venezuela, the US was the only market where the cartoon subgenre ranked in the top10 in this report.
- As in all other markets in this report, school series was among the top 10 most in-demandsubgenres in the US in Q1 2022.
United States Originals Share of Demand and Demand Distribution
- Content from ABC achieved its largest demand share in the US. The 5.1% of demand sharegenerated by American audiences was higher than the global share of demand for the platform(3.5%).
- Amazon Prime Video (1.6%) and Showtime (1.3%) originals had the lowest shares of demand in theUS in this quarter.
- In Q1 2022, content from NBC experienced great success in the US where it made up the largestshare of demand for originals with 6.1%.
- Spongebob Squarepants was the most in-demand show in the US in Q1 2022 with 66.54 times the average series demand and was the only Nickelodeon series ranked in the top 100 in the market.
- HBO’s Euphoria was the most in-demand drama series in the US this quarter with 47.55 times the average series demand.
- The Netflix comedy Cobra Kai ranked higher in the US in Q1 2022 than in any other market coveredin this report with 42.84 times the average series demand.
Top Series in the United States
Here are the top 20 most in-demand series in Q1 2022 across all platforms and networks in the United States:
For more information, check out the most up-to-date United States television industry overview.