Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in the United States in Q2, 2022?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for the United States from The Global Demand Report. Enjoy!
United States Genre and Subgenre Preferences for Series
- American audiences gave the largest shares of demand to comedy (15.3%), documentary (7.8%) and reality(15.6%) genres across all markets in this report.
- With 10.7% share of demand, the US was one of the three markets with the lowest interest in the animation genre in Q2 2022.
- Despite having strong demand for shows like Stranger Things (108.5x), Better Call Saul (48.9x) and Game of Thrones (47.5x), the US showed the second lowest share of demand to the drama genre.
- Along with Egypt, the US was the only market not to rank Japanese animation as the top 2 most in-demand subgenre this report.
- Sitcom ranked higher in the US than any other market in this report and was the most in-demand subgenre in the US for Q2 2022. This subgenre only ranked in the top 3 most in-demand in Norway and Romania in this report.
- Superhero Series were very successful this quarter. The subgenre ranks in the top 10 most in-demand in all markets in this report.
United States Originals Share of Demand and Demand Distribution
- Content from NBC achieved its largest demand share in the US. The 5.9% of demand share generated by American audiences was higher than the global share of demand for the platform (4.0%) in the quarter.
- Apple TV+ (1.4%) and FX (1.4%) originals had the lowest shares of demand in the US in Q2 2022.
- In Q2 2022, content from Fox experienced great success in the US where it made up its largest share of demand for originals with 3.6%.
- Stranger Things was the most in-demand show in the US in Q2 2022 with 108.5 times the average series demand.
- Spongebob Squarepants was the most in-demand children’s show in the US in Q2 2022 with 70.3 times the average series demand and was the only Nickelodeon series ranked in the top 100 in the market.
- The Mandalorian was Disney+’s most in-demand series in the US this quarter with 36.8 times the average series demand.
Top Series in the United States
Here are the top 20 most in-demand series in Q2 2022 across all platforms and networks in the United States: