Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the market share of SVOD platforms in the United Kingdom based on the UK audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. The SVOD market share report leverages United Kingdom demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 68 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: United Kingdom SVOD Market Demand Report.
SVOD market share in the United Kingdom
We define “SVOD market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s digital originals. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Along with Germany, the UK is one of the strongest markets for Prime Video: Prime Originals have a 12% share of all digital original demand in 2018.
- CBS All Access is also strong in the UK: Along with two other markets in this report, CBS All Access titles have a 6% demand share in 2018.
- However, Netflix still has a majority 65% demand share in this market, a proportion that has remained mostly stable over 2017 and 2018.
SVOD drama market share in the United Kingdom
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s drama digital originals in the United Kingdom. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- The UK is one of the most competitive markets for drama SVOD originals.
- Although Netflix titles still account for 61% of drama digital original demand in the UK, this is lower than every other market in this report and tied with Canada.
- Prime Video has the second largest drama demand share in this territory, followed by Hulu titles at 13% original platform demand share each.
SVOD action/adventure market share in the United Kingdom
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s action/adventure digital originals in the United Kingdom. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- In the UK, 69% of the demand for action/adventure titles in 2018 was expressed for a Netflix title.
- Like many of the other markets in this report, the next largest action/adventure demand share in the UK was for Hulu titles (11%) and then DC Universe titles (8%).
- Competitor digital originals are making inroads in the UK with Netflix’s digital original platform share shrinking to 50% of demand.
Download the free SVOD market share report for the United Kingdom
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for the United Kingdom. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
United Kingdom Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the 2018 United Kingdom SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in the U.K. have changed over the last 24 months, including the contribution made by DC Universe.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Learn where in the world content produced in the United Kingdom is the most wanted relative to the U.K. home market; we refer to this as content travelability.
- Discover which sub genres resonate the most with the British compared to the global average.
- Find out what the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in the United Kingdom looks like.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in the United Kingdom, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences in the UK.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the 2018 global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets.
- Discover the worldwide platform demand share of drama digital originals as well as the worldwide platform demand share of action/adventure digital originals.
- The increase in the global investment made by SVOD platforms over the last 5 years.
- The global growth of SVOD subscribers over the last 5 years.
- The increase in digital original titles worldwide over the last 7 years.
- A TV industry update for 2018 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- We have also included a mini analysis of the global demand for critically acclaimed digital original comedies.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.