Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the market share of SVOD platforms in the United Kingdom based on the audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. The SVOD market share report leverages United Kingdom demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 60 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: United Kingdom SVOD Market Demand Report.
SVOD TV market share in the United Kingdom
We define “SVOD market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s digital originals. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- The UK has a higher demand share than all the other markets in this report for DC Universe titles. 5.6% of expressed demand in 2019 Q1 over all genres was for a DC Universe original.
- With 62.3%, Netflix originals account for the majority of UK demand. However, this is a lower demand share than in most markets.
- Compared to other markets in this report, the platform demand share trends in this market have been relatively stable over the quarter.
SVOD drama market share in the United Kingdom
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s drama digital originals in the United Kingdom. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Netflix titles account for 61.2% of all demand expressed for digital original drama titles in the United Kingdom in 2019 Q1.
- Amazon Prime Video titles have the second largest demand share for drama titles in the market with 14.6%, while CBS All Access originals have the third largest share accounting for 11.8%.
- The 24 month view shows how Netflix has managed to retain a more or less stable level of drama demand share across the past 2 years.
SVOD action/adventure market share in the United Kingdom
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s action/adventure digital originals in the United States. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations.
- Netflix has the largest action/adventure demand share in the United Kingdom with 53.8%, although the trend chart shows how this has decreased markedly from its position in mid-2018.
- Action/adventure DC Universe originals are the second largest segment in this market.
- DC Universe originals have a 31.0% average demand share over 2019 Q1, peaking at 33.4% of the market in January.
Download the free SVOD market share report for the United Kingdom
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for the United Kingdom. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
United Kingdom Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the United Kingdom SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in the United Kingdom have changed over the last 24 months.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Discover the genre demand share for all digital originals in this market as well as the 10 most in-demand subgenres in this territory.
- Find out the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in this market.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in the United Kingdom, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets; this has been calculated based on the worldwide demand for each platform’s originals.
- A TV industry update for Q1 2019 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- This report also includes data for the following additional territories: Belgium, China, Hungary, Ireland, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, South Africa and the United States.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ (Apple TV Plus), HBO Max by WarnerMedia/AT&T, NBCU/Comcast’s Peacock, Quibi and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.