Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the market share of SVOD platforms in the United States based on the US audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. The SVOD market share report leverages our SVOD television measurement technology capturing demand data for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 68 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: United States SVOD Market Demand Report.
SVOD market share in the United States
We define “SVOD market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s digital originals. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Across all genres of digital original titles in the US in 2018, Netflix titles account for 68% of expressed demand.
- The second highest demand share is for Prime Originals (10%) and third is Hulu (9%).
- The impact of the ramping up of DC Universe content can be clearly seen in late 2018 in the 24 month demand share trend chart.
SVOD drama market share in the United States
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s drama digital originals in the United States. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- With 63% of the demand share for drama digital original titles, in 2018 Netflix titles account for the majority of the demand expressed for this genre in the USA.
- In 2018, Amazon Prime Video has 13% of the US drama demand, followed by Hulu with 12%.
- The 24 month demand share trend chart reveals that Netflix has been able to maintain approximately 60% share of drama demand.
SVOD action/adventure market share in the United States
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s action/adventure digital originals in the United States. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Netflix also dominates the action/adventure genre, with over two thirds of US demand for digital originals in this genre expressed for Netflix titles.
- DC Universe has recently elevated its position in this genre, capturing 11% of US action/adventure demand in 2018.
- The erosion of Netflix’s dominance in this genre towards the end of 2018 is evident in the 24 month demand share trend chart.
Download the free SVOD market share report for the United States
Download this report now and discover the latest market TV demand trends based on our SVOD television measurement for the United States. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
United States Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the 2018 United States SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in the U.S. have changed over the last 24 months, including the contribution made by DC Universe.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Learn where in the world content produced in the United States is the most wanted relative to the U.S. home market; we refer to this as content travelability.
- Discover which sub genres resonate the most with Americans compared to the global average.
- Find out what the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in the United States looks like.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in the United States, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences in the USA.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the 2018 global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets.
- Discover the worldwide platform demand share of drama digital originals as well as the worldwide platform demand share of action/adventure digital originals.
- The increase in the global investment made by SVOD platforms over the last 5 years.
- The global growth of SVOD subscribers over the last 5 years.
- The increase in digital original titles worldwide over the last 7 years.
- A TV industry update for 2018 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- We have also included a mini analysis of the global demand for critically acclaimed digital original comedies.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.