Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the market share of SVOD platforms in the United States based on the US audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. The SVOD market share report leverages United States demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 60 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: United States SVOD Market Demand Report.
SVOD TV market share in the United States
We define “SVOD market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s digital originals. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Across all genres of digital original titles in the USA, Netflix titles account for 63.1% of expressed demand in Q1 of 2019.
- The second highest demand share is for originals from Amazon Prime Video, which accounts for 9.7%.
- The 24 month platform demand share trend shows that Netflix’s share is slowly declining in 2019 Q1, with DC Universe maintaining the position it carved out for itself in late 2018.
SVOD drama market share in the United States
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s drama digital originals in the United States. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- With 62.7% of the demand share for drama digital original titles, in 2019 Q1 Netflix titles account for a majority of the demand expressed for this genre in the USA.
- The drama platform demand share in the USA is largely in line with the other markets in this report, although with 13.3% Amazon Prime Video has an above average share in this market.
- The 24 month demand share trend chart shows that these shares have been generally stable over the past few months, although demand for Amazon drama originals increased significantly around the end of 2018.
SVOD action/adventure market share in the United States
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s action/adventure digital originals in the United States. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- The US is one of two markets where Netflix action/adventure originals do not have at least 50% of the demand share. The other is Japan.
- However, Netflix originals still account for 47.4% of demand for this genre and so Netflix is still the largest single platform in the US.
- DC Universe has the largest demand share of all markets in this report in the US, capturing 36% of US demand for originals in this genre. This is in line with expectations as the US is the only market where all the DC Universe titles are officially available.
- The 24 month trend shows how the arrival of DC Universe action/adventure originals has impacted the market, although recently it appears that demand has stabilised.
Download the free SVOD market share report for the United States
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for the United States. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
United States Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the United States SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in the United States have changed over the last 24 months.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Discover the genre demand share for all digital originals in this market as well as the 10 most in-demand subgenres in this territory.
- Find out the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in this market.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in the United States, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets; this has been calculated based on the worldwide demand for each platform’s originals.
- A TV industry update for Q1 2019 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- This report also includes data for the following additional territories: Belgium, China, Hungary, Ireland, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, South Africa and the United Kingdom.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ (Apple TV Plus), HBO Max by WarnerMedia/AT&T, NBCU/Comcast’s Peacock, Quibi and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.