Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the the most popular TV genres in the United States based on the US audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. Our television genre report leverages United States demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 60 page report, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: United States television genre report.
The most popular television genres in the United States
Parrot Analytics tracks tens of thousands of television titles in 100+ markets across all TV distribution platforms. This enables us to make the following observations concerning genres for the United States:
- Drama digital originals represent the large share of demand in this market (35.4%) followed by Comedy digital originals (23.1%).
- Of all the markets in this report, the US has the largest demand for 4 genres: Compared to the other nine markets profiled, US audiences are engaging the most with children’s titles (7.5% of US digital original Q1 demand), reality (3.8%), comedy (23.1%) and factual (0.4%).
- America is the only market with a significant demand share for digital original factual content, though even in this market it represents less than 1% of total demand. This indicates a significant growth opportunity for SVODs especially in some of the other markets discussed in this report.
The most popular TV subgenres in the United States
Here are our findings concerning TV subgenres:
- As in all the markets in this report, the two largest subgenres in the USA are superhero series and sci fi drama. In the USA, superhero content has the most Q1 demand.
- Four of the ten most in demand subgenres are in the drama genre.
- US audiences have a love of the animation genre second only to Japan but express it for different types of animation titles: Unlike Japan, Americans favour cartoons over anime.
Download the free TV genre report for the United States
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for the United States. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
United States Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the United States SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in the United States have changed over the last 24 months.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Discover the genre demand share for all digital originals in this market as well as the 10 most in-demand subgenres in this territory.
- Find out the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in this market.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in the United States, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets; this has been calculated based on the worldwide demand for each platform’s originals.
- A TV industry update for Q1 2019 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- This report also includes data for the following additional territories: Belgium, China, Hungary, Ireland, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, South Africa and the United Kingdom.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ (Apple TV Plus), HBO Max by WarnerMedia/AT&T, NBCU/Comcast’s Peacock, Quibi and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.