Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Australia from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Australia digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- In 2020, 44.5% of demand for digital originals in Australia was expressed for a drama series. This is one of the lowest shares of demand for drama of markets in this report.
- Audience demand for digital originals in Australia closely mirrors the average demand breakdown across genres for countries in this report.
- Similar to other English speaking countries, Australian audiences express an above average share of demand for documentary digital original series.
- Sci-fi drama is the most popular digital original subgenre in Australia in 2020, the same as it was in 2019.
- Australia was one of three countries in this report where the superhero series subgenre was the second most in-demand subgenre for 2020.
- Australian subgenre tastes were most similar to those of the Canadian market. The order of the top five subgenres is the same between these markets.
Australia platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Of all markets in this report, Australian audiences expressed the highest share of demand for digital original series from Amazon Prime Video and Apple TV+, with 13.1% and 5.8% respectively. Both platforms increased their demand share in Australia from last year.
- Netflix had the lowest demand shares for the year in Australia of markets in this report. Here it captured only 47.6% of demand for digital original series in 2020. This is well below its global average share 53.5%.
- Following the disruption of Disney+ and Apple TV+ entering the market at the end of 2019 Netflix’s demand share in Australia stabilized around 50%. However, faced with competitive threats on multiple fronts, the leading SVOD’s share began to decline again in August 2020.
- In 2020, the most in-demand digital original series in Australia is The Mandalorian, with 26.4 times the demand of the average show.
- The Test: A New Era for Australia’s Team, is an Amazon Prime Video sports documentary released in March of 2020. This was well-timed and, like other sports series, it received a boost from fans looking to replace live matches cancelled by COVID-19. In 2020 this show had 3.3 times the demand of the average series.
- The Commons, an original from the Australian SVOD Stan did well in its home market. For 2020 it was 2.7 times more in-demand than the average series.
Australia platform demand share for drama and action/adventure digital originals.
- In Australia, Netflix had the lowest share of demand for digital original dramas of all markets in this report. With 51.0% it accounts for just over half of all demand expressed for digital original dramas.
- Of all markets in this report, Australian audiences expressed the highest share of demand for digital original dramas from Amazon Prime Video (14.2%).
- In the trend chart we can see that although Apple TV+ made a sizeable dent in other platforms’ demand share when it launched in 2019, it has been under pressure since then. In the final month of 2020, it had half the demand share that it did in December 2019.
- Similar to the drama genre, Netflix’s 28.2% share of demand for action/adventure originals in Australia was the smallest of all markets in this report.
- Amazon Prime Video has a 16.3% share of demand for action/adventure digital originals in Australia. Along with Brazil, this is the joint highest share for the platform among markets in this report.
- While Netflix has the largest action/adventure demand share for the entire year, that has not been evenly spread across the year. Disney+ was the dominant platform in Australia when The Mandalorian was releasing episodes while Netflix’s demand share spiked around The Umbrella Academy and The Witcher releases.
Top digital original series in Australia
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2020 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.