Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Australia from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Australia digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- Australians had the lowest share of demand for children’s content in this report–6.0%.
- With a 15.1% share of demand for comedies, Australia was one of four markets in this report that had a greater than 15% share of demand for this genre, which is higher than the global average (13.8%).
- Australia had the second largest share of demand for the reality genre (13.5%), behind only the US in this report
- Australia was one of five markets in this report where crime drama was the most in-demand subgenre of 2022. The others were Italy, the UK, Canada, and Spain.
- Mystery drama ranked as the tenth most in-demand subgenre in Australia. This was the only market in this report where the subgenre ranked in the top ten.
- Sitcom ranked as the second and comedy drama as the fourth most in-demand subgenre in Australia last year, a higher rank than in most markets.
Australia platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Content from HBO performed very well in Australia where it accounted the second-largest share of demand for originals in this report with 6.0%, ranking higher than the brand’s global share (4.9%).
- The share of demand for BBC content in Australia (5.3%) was the second largest of markets in this report. While not near as large as the BBC’s demand share in the UK, the 5.3% share is still well above most markets.
- CBS series are popular in Australia. The share of demand for this channel’s series was the third largest in Australia and its 5.9% share here was larger than any other market in this report except Canada where it also reached a 5.9% share.
- Even though Australians had the lowest share of demand for children’s content, the local children’s series Bluey,was the most in-demand Australian original and managed to find success around the world as well.
- The HBO Max comedy, Our Flag Means Death, reached its highest rank in Australia in this report. It was the sixth most in-demand show of the year and had 18.41x demand.
- Aussie Gold Hunters is a local documentary series following gold miners in Australia. While it has been especially popular in its home market (9.37x demand in 2022) it has also found fans in markets around the world.
Top digital original series in Australia
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2022 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.
For more information, check out the most up-to-date Australia television industry overview.