Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the market share of SVOD platforms in Canada based on the Canadian audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. The SVOD market share report leverages Canada demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 68 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: Canada SVOD Market Demand Report.
SVOD market share in Canada
We define “SVOD market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s digital originals. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Across all genres of digital original titles in Canada in 2018, 67% of demand was for Netflix’s digital original titles.
- Prime Video attracted 11% platform share of the market whilst Hulu originals attracted 10%.
- Canada is one of three markets where CBS All Access titles have reached a 6% share of platform demand in 2018.
SVOD drama market share in Canada
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s drama digital originals in Canada. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Canada is one of the most competitive markets for drama SVOD originals.
- Although Netflix titles still account for 61% of drama digital original demand in Canada, this is lower than every other market in this report and tied with the UK.
- The 24 month trend chart shows that CBS All Access originals have been making good progress; demand has increased sharply towards the end of 2017 and this momentum has been sustained into 2018.
SVOD action/adventure market share in Canada
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s action/adventure digital originals in Canada. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- The action/adventure genre is also more competitive in Canada than in other markets, although Netflix does have by far the largest demand share with 67%.
- Hulu has the second largest demand share for digital originals with 11%, followed by DC Universe with 9%.
- As in other markets, we see the impact of DC Universe’s action/adventure content in this market with demand increasing rapidly at the end of 2018.
Download the free SVOD market share report for Canada
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for Canada. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
Canada Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the 2018 Canada SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in Canada have changed over the last 24 months, including the contribution made by DC Universe.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Learn where in the world content produced in Canada is the most wanted relative to the Canadian home market; we refer to this as content travelability.
- Discover which sub genres resonate the most with Canadian compared to the global average.
- Find out what the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in Canada looks like.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in Canada, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences in Canada.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the 2018 global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets.
- Discover the worldwide platform demand share of drama digital originals as well as the worldwide platform demand share of action/adventure digital originals.
- The increase in the global investment made by SVOD platforms over the last 5 years.
- The global growth of SVOD subscribers over the last 5 years.
- The increase in digital original titles worldwide over the last 7 years.
- A TV industry update for 2018 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- We have also included a mini analysis of the global demand for critically acclaimed digital original comedies.
For more information, check out the most up-to-date Canada television industry overview.