Parrot Analytics has recently taken an in-depth look at the market share of SVOD platforms in France based on the French audience demand of each platform’s digital original productions. The SVOD market share report leverages France demand data for streaming originals from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, CBS All Access, as well as local SVOD platforms.
Please download the full 68 page report here, which also includes data and analysis for 9 other countries: France SVOD Market Demand Report.
SVOD market share in France
We define “SVOD market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s digital originals. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- The demand share for digital original titles from Netflix is 74% over 2018 in France.
- However, Netflix’s commanding position is a decrease from May 2017, when Netflix digital original titles had a 89% demand share in France.
- Increasing demand for digital original titles from CBS All Access, DC Universe and Hulu is largely responsible for this change.
SVOD drama market share in France
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s drama digital originals in France. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- Netflix has a stronger presence in the drama SVOD space in France than in most markets covered in this report.
- Three quarters of all demand for SVOD original drama titles in France is expressed for a Netflix original title whilst Hulu and Prime Video titles account for 12% and 7% of the drama demand share, respectively.
- The 24 month demand share trend chart shows that Netflix’s share of drama demand is slowly decreasing.
SVOD action/adventure market share in France
Here we define “market share” as the share of demand for each platform’s action/adventure digital originals in France. Based on this measure, we are able to make the following observations:
- 72% of demand for action/adventure digital originals in France is expressed for a title from Netflix.
- Hulu is the platform with the second largest demand share in this genre, with Hulu titles capturing 10% of the market, whilst DC Universe titles have a 5% action/adventure demand share in France.
- Netflix’s share of action/adventure demand is decreasing rapidly according to our 24 month demand share trend chart.
Download the free SVOD market share report for France
Download this report now and discover the latest SVOD market demand trends for France. Our comprehensive global TV demand report includes the following insights:
France Domestic TV Insights:
- We reveal the 2018 France SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access based on audience demand for each platform’s digital originals.
- Discover how SVOD market share trends in France have changed over the last 24 months, including the contribution made by DC Universe.
- Find out what percentage of the market for drama and action/adventure digital originals each SVOD platform has managed to capture over the last 24 months.
- Learn where in the world content produced in France is the most wanted relative to the French home market; we refer to this as content travelability.
- Discover which sub genres resonate the most with the French compared to the global average.
- Find out what the demand distribution of a selection of digital originals in France looks like.
- Discover the top 20 digital streaming shows in France, as well as 5 additional titles of interest to audiences in France.
Global Television Insights:
- Find out the 2018 global SVOD market share of the major platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and CBS All Access across 100+ markets.
- Discover the worldwide platform demand share of drama digital originals as well as the worldwide platform demand share of action/adventure digital originals.
- The increase in the global investment made by SVOD platforms over the last 5 years.
- The global growth of SVOD subscribers over the last 5 years.
- The increase in digital original titles worldwide over the last 7 years.
- A TV industry update for 2018 detailing important market events concerning SVOD services.
- We have also included a mini analysis of the global demand for critically acclaimed digital original comedies.
Note: This version of The Global TV Demand Report does not include any market share information for as yet unreleased SVOD platforms such as Apple TV+ and Disney+. Parrot Analytics publishes this report each quarter, be sure to bookmark https://insights.parrotanalytics.com/tv to gain access to the latest available market share report across all SVOD platforms.
After reading this article you may have a few questions, such as “How can TV series and SVOD platforms generate demand in markets where they are not yet available?” Please make sure to read our methodology for demand attribution and also our knowledge base article on how Parrot Analytics defines a “digital original” series.