Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Germany from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Germany digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- German audiences expressed the highest share of demand for digital originals in the drama genre in 2020. At 48.1% demand share this is slightly above average for countries in this report.
- Germany has a close to average share of demand for the action adventure genre with 16.8%. However, this market saw one of the largest increases in demand for action/adventure originals this year, up from 13.2% in 2019.
- Germany has an above average share of demand for reality digital originals and a below average share for horror digital originals. These genres have a 3.4% and 2.4% demand share respectively.
- Sci-fi drama is the most in-demand subgenre in Germany for 2020. Crime drama overtook superhero series to become the 2nd most in demand in Germany this year.
- Teen drama is the 7th most in-demand subgenre in Germany. This is similar to Italy where it was 6th most in-demand. The result in both countries is likely helped by the popularity of local versions of the teen drama Skam (Druck in Germany and Skam Italia in Italy).
- Germany is one of three markets, with Italy and Brazil, where fantasy drama ranked most highly as the 9th most in-demand subgenre.
Germany platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- In Germany, demand for digital originals from Netflix accounted for 52.9% of demand for all digital originals in 2020.
- German audiences have an above average demand for digital originals from CBS All Access with 5.3% share for 2020. CBS’s Star Trek franchise is consistently popular in this market.
- The 24 month chart shows how demand for Netflix originals has held up fairly well in 2020 compared to other markets. In December 2020 the platform had a 50% demand share which is on par with its share following Disney+ and Apple TV+’s launch at the end of 2019.
- The Mandalorian is the most in-demand digital original series in Germany in 2020. It has 24.3 times the demand of the average show.
- With 12.9 times the demand of the average series, CBS All Access’ Star Trek: Picard is the fourth most in-demand digital original in Germany for 2020. This reflects the popularity of the Star Trek franchise in Germany.
- In Germany, Hulu’s original series High Fidelity achieved a higher rank than any market in this report. It is the 26th most in-demand digital original here with 5.9 times the demand of the average series.
Germany platform demand share for drama & action/adventure digital originals
- With a 60.2% share of demand for drama digital originals in Germany, Netflix accounted for a majority of demand in this category in 2020. Germany was one of four markets in this report where Netflix had a larger than 60% share here.
- In Germany, Apple TV+ has one of the smallest shares of demand for drama originals with a 4.4% share.
- Despite the fluctuations in Netflix’s demand share this year, its average for the year, 60.2% was nearly equal to its share in 2019, 60.5%. This shows that Netflix has stood up to increased competition well in Germany.
- In Germany, Netflix originals have a 31.0% demand share in the action/adventure genre in 2020. This number is slightly below the average of markets in this report.
- Of the markets in this report, Germany had the highest share of demand for action/adventure originals from CBS All Access. The newest series in the Star Trek franchise, Star Trek: Picard, was the 4th most in-demand digital original for the year in Germany.
- Last year, Disney+’s demand share in Germany was one of the highest of markets we looked at. This year, its 20.5% demand share is only average.
Top digital original series in Germany
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2020 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.