Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Germany from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Germany digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- Germany’s 13.1% share of demand for animated content was above the global share of demand for the genre (12.4%) and was the second largest in this report.
- With a 1.1% share of demand for the year, Germany had the lowest demand for the horror genre in this report.
- Germany was among the five most comedy-loving markets we covered. Its 14.6% share of demand for the comedy genre was above the global share of demand for comedy (13.8%).
- Germany was one of three markets in this report where anime was the most in-demand subgenre of 2022, along with Brazil and France.
- Crime drama came incredibly close to being the most in-demand subgenre in Germany for the year. Total demand for crime dramas was only 1% lower than top ranked Japanese animation.
- Competition reality ranked as the eighth most in-demand subgenre in Germany. This was its highest rank in this report, which it also achieved in the UK and Mexico.
Germany platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- CBS content made up a larger share of demand for shows in Germany than it did globally (5.3% compared to 4.5%). CBS ranked behind only Netflix in Germany in terms of its share of demand.
- Germany was one of the top three markets in this report in terms of demand for BBC content. Series from BBC made up 4.4% of demand for all series in this market, behind only Australia and the UK.
- Original series from Tokyo MX made up a 2.7% share of demand in Germany, greater than the 2.2% share of demand globally for this channel’s shows. This highlights the popularity of Japanese anime in Germany.
- The long-running children’s series Die Sendungmit der Maus was the most in-demand local production in Germany for 2022. It ranked as the eleventh most in-demand series and had 17.29 times the average series demand.
- The German soap opera Gute Zeiten, Schlechte Zeiten, from RTL, originally aired in 1992 but has held upwell over time. In 2022 it still had 8.52 times the average series demand.
- Germany was one of the most comedy-loving markets in this report. Local comedies like Die Dreisten Drei-Die Comedy-WG, which had 10.87x demand in 2022, helped the genre to capture a larger share of audience attention in this market.
Top digital original series in Germany
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2022 in Germany across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.