Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Italy from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Italy digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- Italy was the market in this report that had by far the largest share of demand for the action/adventure genre. 8.1% of demand in Italy was for a show in this genre, no other market in this report even reached a7% share.
- Italian audiences gave a 43.6% share of demand to shows in the drama genre. This was the second largest share in this report, behind only drama-loving Spain.
- Italy was tied with Mexico for the lowest share of demand given to shows in the documentary genre. Both countries had a 2.3% share of demand for documentaries. This was only slightly greater than half of the global share of demand for documentary series (5.2%).
- Italy was one of five markets in this report where crime drama was the most in-demand subgenre of 2022.The others were Australia, the UK, Canada, and Spain.
- As the fifth most in-demand subgenre, superhero series ranked higher in Italy than in any other market in this report.
- Fantasy drama ranked as the eighth most in-demand subgenre in Italy in 2022. This was the subgenre’s highest rank in this report. It was also the eighth most in-demand subgenre in Canada and Brazil.
Italy platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Italy was the most Netflix-loving market in this report. 9.8% of demand for shows was for a Netflix original in 2022–the platform’s largest share of demand in this report.
- RAI, the public broadcasting company of Italy, had the second largest share of demand for its originals (6.5%), beating out even HBO (5.5%).
- Demand for content that originally premiered on a Disney branded channel or platform made up 5.3% of demand in Italy, a larger share of demand than it reached in any other market in this report.
- Gomorrah, a drama from Sky Atlantic, was the most in-demand local series in Italy of 2022. It had 19.42x demand and ranked as the third most in-demand show overall for the year.
- 44 Cats, an Italian animated children’s series, was the most in-demand children’s show in Italy for the year with 12.77 times the average series demand.
- LOL-Chi Ride È Fuori, a comedy game show based on the Japanese series Documental, has found success in Italy on Amazon Prime Video where it had 9.31 times the average series demand for the year.
Top digital original series in Italy
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2022 in Italy across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.