Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Brazil from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Brazil digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- Brazil is tied with Canada as the most horror-loving market in this report. Both markets gave a 3.1% share of demand to the horror genre in 2021.
- Brazil had the second largest share of demand for digital original action/adventure series in this report. The18.3% share of demand for the genre was exactly the same share of demand audiences gave to the genre in Brazil last year.
- Brazil had the second largest share of demand for original reality series, behind only the reality-loving American market in this report. Brazilians’ share of demand for the genre increased to 4.6% this year from 2.8% in 2020.
- Superhero series was the most in-demand digital original subgenre in Brazil for the year. It had a strong lead over the second ranked subgenre, sci-fi drama, which had 25% less demand than superhero series in 2021.
- Competition reality was uniquely successful subgenre in Brazil this year. It ranked as the 7th most in-demand subgenre for the year. Brazil was the only market in this report where a reality subgenre ranked in the ten most in-demand.
- The life story subgenre was the 8th most in-demand subgenre in Brazil in 2021. This is the highest rank for the subgenre in this report, which it also achieved in Mexico.
Brazil platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Brazilians gave a larger share of demand to originals from HBO Max than any other market in this report. The 9.0% of demand for HBO Max originals was well above the global share of demand for this platform’s content–5.0%.
- Hulu had the largest share of demand for its originals in Brazil of markets in this report but its share of demand has been significantly squeezed at the end of the year, shrinking to 7.8% in December 2021.
- It has been a tight race between Apple TV+, HBO Max, and Hulu for demand share in Brazil. At the start of the year Hulu had the largest share of demand; by mid-year HBO Max was in the lead; at the end of the year, Apple TV+ had the largest demand share of the three platforms
- Brazil was one of two markets in this report (along with Mexico) where WandaVision was the most in-demand digital original of 2021. It had 22.05 times the average series demand in Brazil this year.
- High demand for reality series like Soltos em Floripa, RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars, and Legendary helped make Brazil one of the most reality-loving markets in this report. These three series ranked higher in Brazil than in any other market in this report (13th, 15th and 48th respectively).
- Bridgerton found an especially strong base of fans in Brazil. With 13.45 times the average series demand, the show had higher demand in Brazil than in any other market globally this year.
Brazil platform demand share for drama and action/adventure digital originals
- In Brazil, original series from Hulu accounted for 12.4% of demand in the drama genre this year. Brazil was the only market in this report where Hulu’s originals had the second largest share of demand for original dramas behind Netflix.
- Amazon Prime Video’s dramas noticeably underperformed in Brazil this year. The 8.9% of demand for digital original dramas that was for an Amazon original was the platform’s smallest share across markets in this report and well below its global share of demand in the drama genre, 13.0%.
- Dramas from Apple TV+ accounted for 9.9% of demand for original dramas in Brazil. This was the only market where the share of demand for Apple TV+ surpassed Amazon Prime Video in this genre.
- Action/adventure originals from HBO Max found their greatest success in the Brazilian market where they accounted for 21.8% of demand for action/adventure originals this year, nearly overtaking Netflix, which had a 22% share in the genre.
- However, following the success of Disney+ in the action/adventure genre, HBO Max is in a considerably weaker position this year. At several points in 2020, HBO Max had the largest share of demand for action/adventure originals in Brazil. That has not happened this year, where it has been battling Netflix for second place.
- Amazon Prime Video has lost significant demand share for its action/adventure originals. In 2020 its originals made up 16.3% of demand in this genre. In 2021 its share has shrunk to 9.8%.
Top digital original series in Brazil
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2021 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.
For more information, check out the most up-to-date Brazil television industry overview.