Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Spain from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Spain digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- Spain was the most drama-loving market in this report, with a 55.1% share of demand for digital original dramas in 2021. This is well above the global share of demand for this genre–48.3%.
- The animation and children’s genres accounted for a smaller share of demand in Spain than in any other market in this report, with a 3.9% and 2.1% demand share respectively.
- Variety is a popular genre in Spain. While the genre’s 2.5% share of demand for digital originals is not huge, it is larger than in any of the other nine markets covered in this report.
- Seven of the ten most in-demand subgenres in Spain were drama subgenres. This is a greater number than in any other market in this report, which emphasizes how Spain was the most drama-loving market.
- Superhero series performed significantly worse in Spain compared to other markets. It was the 4th most in-demand subgenre in 2021, which is by far its lowest rank among markets covered in this report.
- Crime drama was the second most in-demand subgenre in Spain in 2021. This is the subgenre’s highest rank in this report. It was helped in particular by the success of local hit, La Casa de Papel this year.
Spain platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- The Spanish SVOD market is unique due to the strong position of local content from Movistar+. With a 12.9% demand share in 2021 it is behind only Netflix in its home market. The platform has lost demand share over the past year to competition from other platforms. In 2020, its originals accounted for 15.4% of demand in Spain.
- A crowded competitive field has squeezed the demand share of many platforms. Hulu, Disney+, and HBO Max each have the lowest demand share in Spain of all markets in this report.
- Amazon Prime Video finished the year strong in Spain, growing its demand to 10.6% in December on the strength of its new series, The Wheel of Time.
- While La Casa de Papel, has been a global hit for years now, it remains popular in its home market where it was the most in-demand digital original for the year with 21.49 times the average series demand.
- Two Spanish language Amazon originals have done well in Spain. El Cid ranked as the 5th most in demand original series this year. Fernando, a biographical documentary about a Spanish F1 driver has also captured audience attention in Spain.
- ATRESPlayer has had success adapting the Drag Race franchise for the Spanish market. Drag Race España had 6.34 times the average series demand for the year in Spain.
Spain platform demand share for drama and action/adventure digital originals
- High demand for dramas from Movistar+ in the Spanish market has increased competition here. However, the incumbency advantage of Movistar+ has been eroded this year. Its share of demand for original dramas was 11.3% in 2021, down from 13.3% in 2020.
- In particular, the demand shares of Apple TV+ and Hulu dramas have been squeezed in Spain. With a 5.9% and 7.2% share of demand respectively, these platforms had a smaller share of demand for dramas in Spain than in any other market in this report.
- Movistar+ is not the only local success story in this market. Demand for original dramas from ATRESPlayer accounted for a 2.4% share this year.
- Amazon Prime Video’s action/adventure originals succeeded in Spain this year. In 2021, 12.2% of demand for action/adventure originals was for an Amazon Prime Video series–a larger share of demand for the platform’s originals than in any other market in this report.
- Despite Amazon Prime Video’s success in Spain. Netflix had a share of demand in the genre more than twice that of Amazon Prime Video (25.4% vs. 12.2%).
- The relatively low demand for superhero series in Spain has weighed on HBO Max, whose action/adventure originals are almost exclusively DC Universe series. The platform’s 11.1% share of demand in the genre wasthe second smallest in this report.
Top digital original series in Spain
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2021 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.