Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for the United Kingdom from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
United Kingdom digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- In this report, the UK had the second highest demand share for documentary digital originals with 7.2%. This is an increase from its 6.3% share in 2020.
- The UK is among the most receptive markets for horror content. Horror’s 2.8% demand share here is greater than the US but behind the most horror-loving markets, Brazil and Canada.
- The share of demand for animated digital originals in the UK (6.0%) was the third smallest in this report and below the global share of demand for the genre (6.2%).
- Among European markets in this report, the UK was the only one where superhero series outranked sci-fidrama as the most in-demand subgenre of the year. It just barely achieved this in the UK however-demand for sci-fi drama was only 1% lower than superhero series in 2021.
- Historical dramas succeeded in the UK this year. It achieved its highest rank as the 7th most in-demand subgenre in the UK, Italy, and France.
- The UK was one of four markets in this report where cartoon ranked in the ten most in-demand subgenres of 2021.
United Kingdom platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- The United Kingdom was one of four markets in this report where Amazon Prime Video had a greater than 10% share of demand for its original series in 2021.
- Hulu’s 8% share of demand in the UK was well above its global share of demand (5.8%) but it shrank noticeably at the end of the year, ending at 7.8% in December.
- Apple TV+ had a successful year in the UK with a 7.9% share of digital original demand for the year. In fact, in October it reached a 9.8% share of demand putting it behind only Netflix.
- The Mandalorian is the most in-demand digital original series in the United Kingdom for 2021. It had 25.77 times the average series demand, which is down from its demand in 2020 (31.6x).
- Apple TV+’s Long Way Up performed better in the UK than any other market in this report. It ranked as the 20th most in-demand digital original which is an improvement from last year when it ranked #30.
- Amazon Prime Video’s Clarkson’s Farm premiered in June 2021 and has been a hit in the UK where it reached 8.08 times the average series demand. It likely benefitted from the popularity of its star, Jeremy Clarkson, who is also the host of The Grand Tour (the 14th most in-demand original series in the UK this year).
United Kingdom platform demand share for drama and action/adventure digital originals
- The UK was one of the five markets in this report where Netflix accounted for a larger share of demand for drama originals (52.6%) than its global share of demand for dramas (51.3%).
- Paramount+ original dramas accounted for 4.2% of demand for digital original dramas in the UK this year. This is well above the platform’s 2.7% global share of demand for dramas.
- Amazon Prime Video saw its largest share of demand for original dramas in the past 2 years in December 2021 when its original dramas accounted for 13.7% of demand for all digital original dramas. This was driven by high demand for its hugely successful new series, The Wheel of Time.
- Paramount+ has a larger share of demand in the UK for its action/adventure originals than it does globally (4.9% vs 3.0%). In November, its demand share (8.4%) exceeded Amazon Prime Video’s (8.3%).
- While Netflix saw a late-year surge in its demand share, at no point in 2021 did it have a larger demand share than Disney in the action/adventure genre.
- The share of demand in the UK for Disney+ originals peaked in July 2021 when it accounted for 45.2% of demand for all action/adventure originals.
Top digital original series in the United Kingdom
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2021 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.
For more information, check out the most up-to-date United Kingdom television industry overview.