Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for the Netherlands from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Netherlands digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- The Netherlands gave a large share of demand for the documentary genre this quarter. 6.2% of demand for all series in the Netherlands was for a documentary show. Only the US had a larger share of demand for the genre in this report.
- Another unscripted genre that is similarly popular with Dutch audiences is the reality genre. 13.1% of demand for shows was for a reality series this quarter, the second largest share of demand for the genre inthis report.
- Dutch audiences had the lowest share of demand for children’s content in the report – 5.7%.
- The Netherlands was one of only three markets in this report where a reality subgenre ranked in the ten most in-demand subgenres. Competition reality was the tenth most in-demand subgenre of the quarter here.
- Crime drama was the most in-demand subgenre of the quarter in the Netherlands. Japanese animation came in a close second with only 8% less demand than the leading subgenre.
- The comedy drama subgenre achieved its highest rank in the Netherlands as the fifth most in-demand subgenre. It also ranked fifth in the US, Switzerland, and Saudi Arabia.
Netherlands platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- As fans of reality and documentary content, Dutch audiences helped Discovery original content succeed inthis market. 2.5% of demand for shows was for a show from a Discovery branded channel or platform, a larger share than in any other market.
- BBC content also performed well in the Netherlands. 5.8% of demand for series was for a BBC show. Only Ireland had a larger share of demand for BBC content in this report.
- Hulu original content found fans in the Netherlands. 2.0% of demand for shows was for a Hulu original, a larger share of demand for the platform’s content than in its home market, the U.S.
- As the 10th most in-demand series, Star Trek: Picard ranked higher in the Netherlands than in any other market in this report. It had 14.5 times the average series demand.
- Demand for reality content in this market boosted titles like RuPaul’s Drag Race (14.2x) and local reality series Echte Meisjes (9.9x). Both achieved their highest rank in the Netherlands this quarter.
- The long-running medical drama, Grey’s Anatomy, has high demand with Dutch audiences where it ranked as the 21st most in-demand show in Q1 2023.
Top digital original series in the Netherlands
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q1 2023 in the Netherlands across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.