Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Saudi Arabia from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Saudi Arabia digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- Saudi Arabian audiences had the third largest share of demand for the animation genre of markets in this report. 15.6% of demand for shows in Q1 2023 was for an animated series in Saudi Arabia.
- Saudi Arabia was one of only three markets in this report where the share of demand for drama series (44.9%) was greater than 40%.
- The share of demand for documentary series from Saudi Arabian audiences (1.6%) was less than a third of the global share of demand for the genre (5.2%).
- The high demand for drama content in Saudi Arabia is apparent when looking at the most in-demand subgenres. Six of the ten most in-demand subgenres in Saudi Arabia were drama subgenres.
- Saudi Arabia was the only market in this report where the historical drama subgenre ranked in the top ten.
- The fantasy drama subgenre achieved its highest rank in Saudi Arabia where it was the third most in-demand subgenre for the quarter.
Saudi Arabia platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- Saudi Arabia was the only market in this report where MBC ranked among the top channels in terms of the share of demand for its original content. 6.2% of demand was for a series from an MBC branded channel, meaning it ranks third in terms of demand behind only Netflix and HBO.
- Original content from Shahid, the streaming platform owned by the MBC Group, was alone responsible for 4.3% of demand for shows in Saudi Arabia this quarter, underscoring the impact of content from the MBC Group in this market.
- AMC shows succeeded in Saudi Arabia where they made up 2.5% of demand for series, a larger demand share than in any other market in this report.
- Local comedy series, Shabab Al Bomb, topped the ranking as the most in-demand show in Saudi Arabia with 18.2 times the average series demand in Q1 2023.
- While Saudi Arabia had one of the lowest shares of demand for reality content (5.5%), the local competition reality, Saudi Idol, stood out with 7.6 times the average series demand.
- Kuruluş: Osman, the spinoff of the enormously popular Turkish drama, Resurrection: Ertrugul, travelled well to Saudi Arabia where it had 7.1 times the average series demand and ranked as the sixteenth most in-demand show this quarter.
Top digital original series in Saudi Arabia
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q1 2023 in Saudi Arabia across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.