Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Spain from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Spain digital original genre and subgenre preferences
- The drama genre captured a majority of Spanish demand in 2020. With a 54.0% demand share, Spain was the second most drama dominated market in this report.
- Of markets in this report, Spanish audiences had the highest demand share for digital original variety series (2.7%) and an above average demand share for digital original comedy series (17.2%).
- Spanish audiences expressed the lowest share of demand for animation (3.2%), children’s (2.6%), and reality (1.2%) original series of the markets in this report.
- The Spanish taste for drama is apparent in this ranking where the top two subgenres are drama subgenres. However, crime drama and sci-fi drama have swapped positions from 2019 when sci-fi drama was the most in-demand subgenre.
- Superhero series were far less popular in the Spanish market than in other markets. It was the 5th most in-demand subgenre in Spain for 2020, but was no lower than third most in-demand in any other market in this report.
- Mystery drama was the 8th most in-demand and Thriller was the 4th most in-demand subgenre in Spain for 2020. These are a higher rank than either achieved in any other market.
Spain platform demand share and digital originals demand distribution
- The Spanish SVOD market is unique due to the strong position of local content from Movistar+. With a 15.4% demand share in 2020 it trails only Netflix in its home market. This is strong growth for the platform from last year when it only had an 8.9% demand share.
- Competition from Movistar+ has put pressure on the demand shares of other platforms. Hulu, Disney+, Apple TV+, and HBO Max each have the lowest demand share in Spain of all markets in this report.
- Netflix’s 10% decline in share over two months that began in September 2020 doesn’t appear to be driven by any one platform gaining share. It was likely due to weak demand for Netflix originals in Spain at this time, as all other platforms gained share.
- As with most markets we are reporting on for 2020, The Mandalorian is the most in demand digital original series for the year in Spain. It registered 24.3 times the demand of the average series here.
- Six of the top twenty digital originals for the year in Spain are from Movistar+, a better result for the Spanish SVOD than last year when only 4 of its originals made it into the top 20. El Embarcadero attracted some of the highest demand, 12.7 times the average series.
- ATRESPlayer had the most in-demand digital original from a Spanish platform. La Valla was the 5th most in-demand digital original in Spain. The series, originally released in January, is about a dystopian future in a pandemic ravaged world. It would be hard to imagine a more fitting release date.
Spain platform demand share for drama and action/adventure digital originals
- Movistar+ has impressively grown its demand share for drama originals in Spain. Last year its originals accounted for 8.2% of this demand but that has grown to 13.3% this year.
- Movistar+’s growth has squeezed all other platforms in Spain. Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, and CBS All Access have all lost demand share for drama from 2019, while Apple TV+ has the smallest drama original demand share in Spain of any market in this report.
- Despite the presence of a major local OTT platform, Netflix has a majority of demand for drama originals in Spain and a larger share than in several other markets. Netflix is likely well positioned to defend against Movistar+ in Spain because it has invested in many Spanish language originals of its own.
- With a 36.7% share, Netflix achieved its highest share of demand for action/adventure originals jointly in Spain and Italy.
- Spanish audiences expressed 8.4% of demand for an action/adventure digital original for an HBO Max original. This is the platform’s lowest share in this category compared to other markets in this report. This is likely driven by a notably lower demand in Spain for Superhero series. That subgenre ranked lower here than in any other market
- Netflix had a noticeably precipitous drop in its demand share for action/adventure originals at the end of the year in Spain. It fell from a high of 51.7% in August to an all time low of 26.8% in November.
Top digital original series in Spain
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in 2020 across all platforms:
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report.