Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Australia in Q2, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Australia from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Australia Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preference
- Australia is one of the most comedy-loving markets we are covering this quarter. In Q2 2021, 17.1% of demand for original series was for a comedy, placing it behind only the US in this report
- Similarly, Australia trailed only the US in its share of demand for documentary originals. Its 5.7% share of demand for this genre was the second largest in this report.
- The share of demand Australian audiences give to the reality (3.7%) and horror (3.0%) genres is above the global average for these genres – 2.7% and 2.6% respectively.
- The popularity of comedy in Australia is evident in the top subgenres for the quarter. Sitcom, comedy drama, and animated comedy were all among the top 10 most in-demand subgenres.
- Australia was unique in this report as the only market where the sitcom subgenre outranked comedy drama. Not only is comedy highly in-demand here but comedy preferences are distinct from other markets.
Australia Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- Australia was one of two markets covered in this report where demand for Netflix originals fell below 40% for the quarter. While still the largest platform share in this market, Netflix’s share has been on a steady downward trend here over the past two years.
- Apple TV+ achieved the highest share of demand for its originals in Australia of markets in this report. Apple TV+ originals accounted for 8.0% of demand for all digital originals here.
- Paramount+ originals also accounted for a larger share of demand in Australia than in other market in this report, making up 4.9% of demand for digital original series. The popularity of Paramount+ content beyond just the Star Trek franchise (such as The Good Fight) helped drive demand in Australia.
- In Q2 2021, the most in-demand digital original series in Australia is The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, with 21.6 times the demand of the average show.
- The Netflix reality show, Love on the Spectrum, ranked higher in Australia than in any other market in this report as the 62nd most in-demand digital original.
- The Stan original, Wolf Creek (a spinoff of the horror movie franchise) had 2.1 times the demand of the average series in Australia this quarter.
Australia Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- Australian audiences gave 9.6% of demand for digital original dramas to original series from Apple TV+. This is a larger share of demand for the platform than in any other market in this report.
- Three platforms – Hulu, HBO Max, and Paramount+ achieved their second largest share of demand in this report for digital original dramas in Australia.
- Australia was one of two markets in this report where Netflix accounted for less than 50% of demand for drama originals. Netflix’s demand share in this market is under pressure from the success of multiple other platforms here.
- As with nearly all markets in this report, Disney+ originals accounted for the largest share of demand for action/adventure originals in Australia. Original series from Disney+ made up 43.5%of demand for original series in this genre here.
- In this report, Paramount+ achieved its second largest share of demand for action/adventure originals in Australia with a 5.1% share.
- In Australia, the share of demand for original HBO Max series in the action/adventure genre (14.0%) was larger than the platform’s global share of demand in this category (11.5%).
Top Digital Original Series in Australia
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q2 2021 across all platforms in Australia: