Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Finland in Q2, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Finland from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Finland Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preference
- Finland is tied with Russia for the smallest share of demand for digital original variety series, which accounted for a mere 0.2% of demand here in Q2 2021.
- Finland is one of only 3 markets in this report (with the U.A.E and Peru) where the share of demand for the horror genre was less than 2% in Q2 2021.
- The action/adventure genre made up a larger share of demand for digital originals in Finland (19.8%) than globally (14.1%) in Q2 2021.
- As with four other markets in this report, sci-fi drama was the most in-demand digital original subgenre in Finland in Q2 2021.
- Action fantasy was the fifth most in-demand subgenre in Finland in Q2 2021. This is the highest rank this subgenre achieved in this report. It is also ranked fifth in Japan.
Finland Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- HBO Max accounted for the smallest share of digital original demand in Finland (3.4%) of all markets covered in this report.
- The share of demand for originals from Disney+ in Finland was 14.8% in Q2 2021. This is more than double the global share for the platform, 7.3%.
- Originals from Netflix make up exactly half of demand for all digital originals in Finland this quarter.
- Finland was one of two markets in this report (along with Nordic neighbor Norway) where The Handmaid’s Tale was the most in-demand digital original for the quarter.
- Star Trek: Lower Decks outranks even Star Trek: Discovery and Picard in Finland. The animated Star Trek series was the 31st most in-demand digital original in Finland this quarter.
- Arctic Circle is a local digital original from the streamer Elisa Viihde. This show was the 28th most in-demand digital original in Finland and had 1.4 times the average series demand.
Finland Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- Hulu’s 10% share of demand for digital original dramas in Finland is the third largest share of drama demand achieved by Hulu in this report.
- Finnish audiences gave 5.4% of demand for drama originals to an original from Apple TV+ in Q2 2021. This is slightly below the global share of demand for the platform’s originals–5.6%.
- Netflix saw a steep decline in it’s demand share for dramas in Finland in the final month of Q2 2021. It ended the quarter with a 56.1% share of demand in the genre.
- Disney+ achieved its most dominant position in the action/adventure genre in Finland of markets in this report. 59% of demand for a digital original action/adventure series was for a Disney+ original in Q2 2021 here.
- HBO Max seems to have suffered the most from Disney+’s success here. Its 6.1% share of demand for action/adventure originals in Finland is the lowest of markets in this report.
- The growing share of demand for Disney+ action/adventure originals has severely cut into Amazon Prime Video’s demand share in this market. The 9.7% share of demand for Amazon Prime Video originals in June is a third of what it was in October 2020.
Top Digital Original Series in Finland
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q2 2021 across all platforms in Finland: