Wondering who is winning in the streaming wars in Germany in Q2, 2021?
Please subscribe to DEMAND360LITE to access the latest version of The Global Television Demand Report and to discover the latest content analytics and trends for TV series on cable, broadcast, OTT and SVOD streaming platforms around the world.
Presented below is the section for Germany from The Global Television Demand Report. Enjoy!
Germany Digital Original Genre and Subgenre Preference
- Germans had the third highest demand share for digital original children’s content in this report. In Q2 2021 5.0% of demand for digital originals in Germany was for a children’s series.
- Germany was one of only three markets in this report that had a share of demand for original documentary content above 5%.
- While the share of demand for animated content in Germany in Q2 2021 is equal to the global share for this genre (6.0%), eight of the markets in this report have a higher share of demand for animated content.
- As with five markets in this report, superhero series was the most in-demand subgenre in Germany in Q2 2021. It had the narrowest lead over sci-fi drama here with only 1% more demand for the quarter.
- Germany is tied with Russia in this report for the market where fantasy drama ranks highest. Fantasy drama was the 7th most in-demand subgenre in Germany in Q2 2021.
Germany Platform Demand Share and Digital Originals Demand Distribution
- At just under 50%, Netflix had the third largest share of demand for originals in Germany of all markets in this report.
- Amazon Prime Video’s 10.6% share of demand for digital originals in Germany was larger than only two other markets in this report.
- The demand share in Germany for originals from Apple TV+ has had an impressive growth streak, increasing each month from its share in December 2020 (4.1%).
- The most in-demand digital original series in Germany in Q2 2021 is The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. For the quarter it had 20.8 times the demand of the average series.
- Apple TV+’s The Me You Can’t See ranked higher in Germany than any of the markets covered in this report. It was the 24th most in-demand original series with nearly 8 times the average series demand.
- The Underground Railroad from Amazon Prime Video also ranked more highly in Germany than in any other market in this report as the 33rd most in-demand digital original series.
Germany Platform Demand Share for Drama & Action/Adventure Digital Originals
- In Germany, 60.7% of demand for digital original dramas was for a Netflix drama. This is Netflix’s second largest share of demand for dramas in this report.
- Local platform, Funk, was able to carve out a 1.4% share of demand for original drama series in Germany in Q2 2021. The platform’s demand share here has ebbed this quarter as the next season of its most in-demand drama, Druck, is not scheduled to premiere until October 2021.
- Amazon Prime Video originals made up 10.9% of demand for original dramas in Germany this quarter. This is one of the smallest shares for this platform’s dramas in this report.
- The share of demand for Paramount+ originals in Germany has historically outperformed other markets due to the popularity of its Star Trek franchise here. This quarter however the platform’s 3.9% share of demand for action/adventure originals trailed five other markets in this report.
- Germany was one of three markets in this report where the share of demand for Amazon Prime Video action/adventure originals fell below 10% this quarter.
- Netflix achieved its second largest share of demand for action/adventure originals in this report in Germany. 27.7% of all demand for action/adventure originals was for a Netflix series in Q2 2021.
Top Digital Original Series in Germany
Here are the top 20 most in-demand streaming original series in Q2 2021 across all platforms in Germany:
For more information, check out the most up-to-date Germany television industry overview.